Establishing Alpha over my Rooster

CLKristi

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
My rooster has become aggressive with me, trying to spur me and pecking my feet. I've heard and read that a way to establish your "alphaness" is to pick them up and carry them around. I haven't had chickens before and am pretty scared to pick him up (he's really big - a Brahma, I think). Any other suggestions on how I can let him know that's not OK (I'd rather not hit him if possible)?

I'm working closely with Ky, the Oly Chicken Guy http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html to help me train my two eleven-month old roosters, one of which is a Buff Brahma. Ky has a direct line into the chicken brain, and will be happy to design a special training plan for you and your roo. E-mail him at [email protected] But you can get started by reading the articles on his web site.

My Brahma Penrod has a serious biting problem, and we've come a long way in overcoming it. The other rooster, a Black Cochin Darrel, became so timid and skittish when entering puberty, he would have an hysterical meltdown if I reached to pick him up. When cornered, he's fly at my face or beat himself against the pen fence. After several months of training, Darrel is now calm and trusting and permits me to pick him up and cuddle him.

And no, you do not need to hit your rooster or hurt him in order to train trust and manners into him. Contrary to what many chicken owners will insist, roosters, even supposedly nasty candidates, can be rehabilitated. It requires commitment, patience, consistency, and work, but it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom