Establishing Feral Chicken flock

Pics
We kept a big flock of very low management chickens and guineas for 10 years on our farm in Ohio. We did feed them but mostly they raised themselves. I was managing a sheep flock intensively so the fowl had to be rather extensive.

Protection from predators at night was the key. We had a very tall barn, it was at least 16 feet to the bottom of the truss chords, and that's where the fowl roosted. We rarely raised the keets ourselves, but the flock raised enough to keep going. I figured coons would climb up but apparently they didn't go that high, at least not up 6x6 posts. The worst year we had was when a hawk or hawks hit both flocks hard for weeks or longer.

As for the chickens, they were games, Albany and Lacy roundheads, crossed with a couple of bantam hens and a little Sumatra for a while. Over the years I selected the more game looking roosters. Fighting was never a problem, probably because there was so much space. The dominant roosters could stake out territories. And I remember two gorgeous stags that looked like pure games and acted like buddies, running under the dominance of an older rooster. I culled excess roosters too, shooting them with a .22. This system rewarded hens that could raise their own chicks in and around the barnyard with a little help from us. Water and feed available but running out at all times.

Most people I knew with guineas and chickens raised extensively lost them to predators. Again, I think our barn was the key. Coons own the night, and so do the other predators by and large. If fowl can sleep safe, many can make it through the days. We started wtih 20 or 30 guineas and the flock maintained that number. Chickens were getting out of control, being more successful mothers, peaking at around 80 by the time we started dispersing to move.

A friend of mine came up with the idea of having a flock of feral chickens. which breeds would be the most likely to go feral and how would you get them to do that. Could they survive on their own? what would be the ideal place to establish one? any thoughts, suggestions, commments?
Two years ago we moved to rural NC in the Sandhills. One of the other landowners had released some Red Jungle fowl so there was a flock of 10-25 chickens. They come several times a day, announce themselves, but are wary and wait when we go out with the feed. They are most likely mixed as the hens are different colors. The only predators have been a neighbor’s dogs which have been re-homed. We enjoy watching them so along with the feed we provided some nesting boxes and for awhile enjoyed the best eggs! Then they decided to go broody, so we ended up enjoying mom and her chicks but no eggs. We are hoping for more eggs this summer.

Attachments

• 6225F0EC-26EC-44EB-86BA-ABD3F3EFABD8.jpeg
    6225F0EC-26EC-44EB-86BA-ABD3F3EFABD8.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 1126D813-4830-4D48-A75A-4BBB212FDF67.jpeg
    1126D813-4830-4D48-A75A-4BBB212FDF67.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 24
A friend of mine came up with the idea of having a flock of feral chickens. which breeds would be the most likely to go feral and how would you get them to do that. Could they survive on their own? what would be the ideal place to establish one? any thoughts, suggestions, commments?
I do not think it would work well where I am. I live in the woods and everything loves to eat chicken. Raccoons, O' possums, skunks, coyotes, wild feral dogs, feral pigs, panthers, and oh yeah snakes not to mention owls and hawks and the occasional eagle. Just saying.......even if you live in town at night you have fox too. Sorry not meant to be negative.

I doubt barnyard chickens would survive long in the wild. They are pretty much domesticated and dependent on humans for protection. A rooster might try to protect his flock but he would get eaten pretty quickly. The hens would quickly follow. They are too heavy and can barely fly. Raccoons, coyotes, bobcats and hawks would get them. Feral cats would also. IMHO
What about in Key West, FL?? Chickens run wild there...baby chicks even, everywhere...

3 of my chickens sleep outside of the coop. 1 rooster and 2 hens. they are of a light breed so they can fly pretty well. They roost up in a big oak tree near my house. They are managing pretty well, but I still feed and care for them. If I stopped taking care of them they would probably be fine. although my dog does help keep away most of the predators away. I think depending on the situation some chickens could live a pretty good feral life.

I’m, I’m sorry but people have kept “feral” or self sufficient chickens for GENERATIONS! Only now in the time of PETA do we have those that think a chicken should be protected from EVERYTHING. They are LIVESTOCK to the majority and therefore the less you have to spend and put into them the better. I get that chickens have become a fad for suburban yuppies and therefore get treated more like the family dog than a food/financial source. But there ARE those of us that live on farms and homesteads that do not look at them that way. Stop being so judgmental and try to see it from the prospective of those of us that don’t raise “show chicken” are rely on the eggs and meat.
I think the poster you replied thought the intent was to release chickens into the wild or the streets, not into a yard to maintain.

Two years ago we moved to rural NC in the Sandhills. One of the other landowners had released some Red Jungle fowl so there was a flock of 10-25 chickens. They come several times a day, announce themselves, but are wary and wait when we go out with the feed. They are most likely mixed as the hens are different colors. The only predators have been a neighbor’s dogs which have been re-homed. We enjoy watching them so along with the feed we provided some nesting boxes and for awhile enjoyed the best eggs! Then they decided to go broody, so we ended up enjoying mom and her chicks but no eggs. We are hoping for more eggs this summer.
Pictured birds appear to be American Games. Wheaton color pattern, peacomb (evidence of Asian influence), white legs, and high tail all characters in picture that distinguish them from Red Jungle Fowl.

I think in Washington you would have to worry about raccoons and coyotes eating your chickens up. Un-cooped chickens don’t have much defense against raccoons in particular , who can climb trees.

You could probably manage to keep a semi-feral flock by training your domestic flock to roam all day and return to the coop at night of their own accord. You would still need to provide the shelter and lock them up at night. Depending on the season the chickens could probably support themselves foraging, but luring them home in the evening with a regular meal would surely be a good idea. In the winter you would still need to provide them with feed (they need calories to stay warm, and insects and foliage are scarce) maybe even warmth for the coop at night.

You might choose a cold hardy breed, but I think any breed would adapt within a generation or so.

Hawaii has large populations of feral chickens because there are no predators, and it ever gets cold. There are always bugs and leaves to eat. Lots of people consider them a nuisance, but we love them.

I think Malays would be a great choice for this, they're huge, can get to a little over 3ft tall, can weigh between 10-13lbs, & are hawk fighters, & very protective of their flock mates. They need lots of space to free roam, since they need to have alot of exercise. Be sure to keep excess roosters separate once they hit maturity, around 9 months to a year of age, cuz they'll start fighting each other then. If you include other roosters that aren't games, they can be kept with them.

game breeds do well. White ones dont appear to be out there so I guess they are eatn fast. Driving thru Fl I come across small free ranging flocks near country homes and they seem to be doing fine....but I think they may have a place to run to near hoomans. Key West has protected wild flocks running around on the island for decades. cochins and batams are eaten by everything. So besides ganes, large breeds seem to do do better. Give it a try. Free ranges surprise us all showing up with chicks.

Back
Top Bottom