Establishing Feral Chicken flock

Pics
Totally different climate but look at Hawaii if you want to see how successful true feral fowl can be.

In WA (depending on how rural you are/aren't), I think the more likely scenario is you'd fatten up a lot of predators in the short term. If enough survive to reproduce, then in a worst case scenario you'd have my current problem with rabbits (I'm overrun with formerly domesticated rabbits).

We used to do it every year using game chickens. That is breed I would use. We also had good control over predators like raccoons and foxes through hunting. Raptors were not as abundant owing to DDT and some people actively shooting them.

The flocks were not truly feral as we managed who the breeders were. Truly feral flocks will be selecting breeders themselves and activities of predators.

I doubt barnyard chickens would survive long in the wild. They are pretty much domesticated and dependent on humans for protection. A rooster might try to protect his flock but he would get eaten pretty quickly. The hens would quickly follow. They are too heavy and can barely fly. Raccoons, coyotes, bobcats and hawks would get them. Feral cats would also. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom