Etc... Freezer Beef Prices

We purchase a beef each fall from a local farmer friend. He sells it for the current market price. He doesn't charge us for delivery to the processor since he says he would have to deliver it to the market anyway. This year, we paid $1.00/lb for the 1200lb Angus, and the processing was $250.00. I figured we paid a little less than $2.00/lb. We're very satisfied with that. Can't buy at the store the quality of beef we get from him. He grass feeds and then grain feeds them for the last couple of weeks or so.

Brad

Yes sorry I guess I assumed folks would know about hudred weight pricing. Market is generally established by some type of auction market. It is not necessarily true that single animals bring more, as a matter of fact they usually bring less as they are likely sorted from a lot for being too light to heavy or something like that which could effect the uniformity of the lot.

Buyers putting cattle on feed actually prefer to buy in larger lots as they can them fill a truck and freight is less. Make no mistake market is established by the larger markets and the rest is evaluated on a one at a time basis. If OP beleives that the beef represented to her/him is worth 1.50 per lb and then it is. I am aware that there is information out there that can help establish what market really is. Cattle like it or not are generally a commodity not unlike any other farmed product and most producers look for ways to add value.

Some may remember a number of years ago when there were more pigs in this country than what would fit through our packing plants. Pigs were availalbe for as little as 25 to fifty bucks per pig. I and a neighbor bought a group and buthcered them ourselves. This was a blip in the market driven by Shackle (kill) capacity and over production.

There is little doubt that the established market for a 6 weight steer is in the range of 85 to 1.10 per lb no matter where you are in this country. If one finds value beyond that good for them and the seller.

big_smile.png

Quote:
Exact same pricing here
big_smile.png
(ours is a Red Angus)

Thanks for all that info on the auctions - I have seen them on RFD, but didn't know what the heck was going on!

Superior livestock (RFD) the first guy that sells they sell all day so they need to take turns, is just awesome. His chant is a melody with a rythym that never wavers. Ralph Wade is the man.

Quote:
Dang. That's one big beef!
lol.png

Regarding the OP, I think you got a great deal. I'm picking up a half beef tomorrow that I will be paying about $2.87 a pound for. And will do so gladly.

But then, that is for a pasture raised and finished organic beast raised the Joel Salatin way.

ETA
That's $2.87 a pound live weight.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do believe there is a wee bit of a difference between a grass fed beef in Ky. and one grass fed in Ca. or any arrid area of the West. They don't call Cal. " The Golden State" for nothing. That is the collor of the range grasses for the better part of the year. I have eaten steak here that was presented on the menu to be " grass fed Angus beef" at restaurants quite often that was quite chewy tough as shoe leather... sorry, give me a steak from a beef that was fed on quality springtime green grass pastures then alfalfa and corn in the feed lot for at least 90 days to atchieve proper marbling of the meat. Then hung for 2+ weeks in a cooler for proper aging. As for e-coli, just don't order your steak in the moo phase. Proper cooking to 160+ degree interior temp will kill any evil doer organism.

The OP isn't in CA. The OP is in Indiana, just north of KY.

BTW, I lived in CA for a few years, too, and the entire state is not the dustbowl you make it out to be.

Especially where Bossroo lives. My family cattle ranched for decades in that area, back before there was such a thing as a CAFO so everything was grass fed. My great great grandfather had the first cattle brand registered in both Tulare and Fresno counties. That area is prime cattle country.

Quote:
lol.png

Regarding the OP, I think you got a great deal. I'm picking up a half beef tomorrow that I will be paying about $2.87 a pound for. And will do so gladly.

But then, that is for a pasture raised and finished organic beast raised the Joel Salatin way.

ETA

How much does your animal weigh? Did you pay for processing on top of the live wt price?

Quote:
lol.png

ETA

How much does your animal weigh? Did you pay for processing on top of the live wt price?

You know what, I was so excited to hear it was ready I forgot to ask, but he did say it was $800+. So, at that price it must have weighed a little more than 278 lbs for the half. I guess I will find out tomorrow when we complete the transaction.

And processing is included in that price.

ETA
Just got an email from my farmer with the details... 292 pounds live weight for my side of beef, price $2.80 a pound for a price of $817.60.

Last edited:
FLF wrote:
Wow, that's awful small. I think my husband gets $1.75-$2.00 and they dress out at 800-9000lbs

LOL, my fingers out pace my brain
wink.png

Lots of good info here! When I was younger, I used to spend every Monday, Tues, and Weds at Livestock auctions. We have 3 locally. I do miss it, the people were great, and I really liked all the hustle and bustle. Now I only get to go on holidays...​

Quote:
Your price per pound is going to be a lot higher when the weight is no longer "live" you will probably get 175 pounds or so (am I right folks?) So your price per pound will be around $4.60

Back
Top Bottom