Etiquette Question

Etiquette is a thing that it peculiar to the each country. In France and Italy it is perfectly acceptable to tuck a napkin into your collar, and so to protect your clothes from, for example spaghetti and sauces. In France it is also etiquette to serve the cheese course before the desert course, whereas in many countries this is always served after the desert. In England, cutlery is held with the handle in the palm of the hand and the index finger extended along the handle towards the blade of the knife and the tines of the fork. Both pieces of cutlery are used throughout the meal, meat being cut up one piece at a time as it is eaten. The fork is always held low at an angle, none of this holding vertically. Cutting up meat first and then transferring the fork to the other hand, while laying the knife down, which is commonly done in the US, is seen as a grave breach of etiquette. Putting your napkin into your collar is not!

That's very interesting about the difference in French customs.

I agree with you about the switching hands with the fork, that's almost exclusively American. I like to do it the other way, but I would be corrected, harshly. Now that I'm grown up, I find the other way to be much more practical and easy, so I usually do it, instead.

Quote:
That is exactly what I was taught, and you have explained it. Hard for my daughter to hold a fork like that when her palms are not that big.

As much as she tried to be like mommy in her best etiquette manner but her meat sliding around her plate does not help matters. She is six years old. She just refused to let him help her cut her meat up, like her steak or pork meats which they can be tough but hamburgers not a problem. I am proud of her wanting to improve and she is improving however the cutting of steak or tough meats would frustrate her more. The more madder she gets, the more she would "saw" into the meat. I would give her my steak knife with no serrated edges, that would give her the cut she wanted.

It is hard for a young child to learn to use a knife a fork efficiently. I personally, would not expect too much of a six year old. I can't recall giving young children such meats as steak or pork chops. The meat they ate was generally stewed or casserolled and they also ate roasted meat that was thinly sliced. I think we considered chicken and fish the most suitable food for these nursery aged children but I know this is hopelessly old fashioned now! Softer meats and child sized cutlery were our weapons of choice.

Quote:
You mean I shouldn't ball my napkin up and throw it away when I put the tray up?
hu.gif

Do like a chicken does - wipe your face back & forth on the tablecloth.
lol.png

Seriously if people try their best with some kind of manners, that's fine by me. What irks me is the finger licking !! I get it if you're at KFC and you're a kid, but I've seen this too many times and it just BUGS me. That and people making that sucking sound trying to get bits out from between their teeth. I actually saw someone putting their fingers in their mouth trying to get that piece out
sickbyc.gif
Just thinking about what I've witnessed keeps me on my diet.

Quote:
Well she is like her mother, love steaks and pork chops! Can't not blame her for at least trying to use the knife to cut up things. Yes she does well with softer meats like roasts and its a bit easier for her to chew.

No, you are not hopelessly old fashioned, some traditons die hard in some of us! Today's kids could use some lessons in chivirly (sp) and good table manners goes a long ways when you go foreign countries or working with business people. What you do at the table really does give them impression whether you are a detailed person or sloppy person.

Quote:
Well if there is no toothpick to be found, they would continue to pick with their fingers. Would you rather see them with toothpicks or dental flosses out for display in public? I know my dad loves his toothpick after he eats. In a fancy resturaunt he would not do it but a family resturaunt, nope.

I don't hear sucking sounds or lip smacking sounds whenever I go to eat. I have to remind hubby or daughter sometimes to let them know if I do that because I was not conscious of what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom