European Pekins

chicken_boy_Kurt

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
So I was browsing feathersite the other day, on the Pekin page, and I noticed Pekins bred to European standard. They stand like Runners... I thought that was really interesting, and I find them appealing. They look like fat Runners. Does anyone own these???

Feathersite Pekin Page.

Quote:
The ones I'm talking about are a little more down the page. They're exhibition quality in Europe.

The APA standard-bred Pekin doesn't stand at all like the European.

Ok, totally off topic but can someone please post a link to feather action? I cant seem to even google a link!

Quote:
This is true in many cases. But not all. I think it's because most of the time, Europe imported (from Asia, etc.) or created birds before we had a chance to get our hands on them. So they were working with the birds way before we were. And we have very few breeds bred here, anyway.

But there are some breeds that we actually imported first. I know one is the Sumatra.

And it's not always that they have better quality birds. They often times have entirely different standards (Pekins and Orpingtons, for example).

I do agree that hatcheries are not entirely helpful for the exhibition side of the poultry industry. But they're a really good way for people who just want eggs or meat from their backyard. In this way they don't have to buy something from the supermarket that they don't know the entire story or quality of.

...Did any of that make sense? I'm bad at explaining my opinions.

Back
Top Bottom