Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

My hatch of Basque hens is finished. I set 13 and 4 were clears. 9 made it to lockdown and 2 did not hatch.

I have 5 Basque and two Pita Pintas!

I will post some pictures today.

This girl has great coloring. Is she from MD's birds?

Tru started with Skyline and GFF lines about the same time we did. Those are hers, and she's breeding to standard. It shows.
thumbsup.gif

I hatched some Basque Hen Chicks!

Along with 2 Pita Pintas

This is a nicely shaped chick! Great Attitude so far
wink.png

I hatched 12 Basque chicks yesterday and have 25 more eggs in the incubator. I culled out 3 matured pullets that just didn't show the size that my other gals exhibit. One had turned broody, which is a trait that I select for, but was just too small in size. They are now part of a very colorful backyard layer flock for some nice people down the road. Egg production has indeed slowed with our hot weather. Now the rains pose problems with being able to collect clean (un muddy) eggs that dirty hen feet haven't soiled. On the up side...the crops are loving all this rain!

I hatched some Basque Hen Chicks! Along with 2 Pita Pintas This is a nicely shaped chick! Great Attitude so far ;)
These are so adorable! It makes me want to hatch some more. We had 2 of our Basque roosters and 6 other excess Roos butchered today. The Basques both weighed about 4 1/2 pounds by the time they came back in a bag. I'll be selecting one of the Basque cockerels for the flock, but I'm not going to try keeping two together again. The battles were constant.

Heidi........what did you call that color of spray-paint you paint those legs with....John Deere Yellow? It must be good paint because it lasts the whole lifetime.....................I want me some of those John Deere wheels on my EO's............MIKE

Last edited:
............Those are Great looking hens...........Built like that, they could even be PURPLE and be really nice.
thumbsup.gif
...............Mike..........!!Oh....excuse me TPC Folks!!!!...........my Bad................

Last edited:
This girl has great coloring. Is she from MD's birds?

Nope. She is my first generation from selected Greenfire and Skyline birds. Here is one of the breeder hens (picture taken back in the spring.) She's a little on the light side, but has those yellow legs and pretty good type in person.

My opinion may not be worth much, but personally, I think that is what we all should be trying to breed. She is put together right.....all her 'attachments' are good and myself; I love that color. GOOD JOB Tru.......................MIKE

Back
Top Bottom