Euthanasia Assistance Request

HoopyFrood

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Maine, USA
My Coop
My Coop
I understand that most with knowledge of this subject will not want to reply; for many possible reasons. That's totally fine. But *IF* someone out there has knowledge and is willing to share, I greatly welcome and appreciate it. We love our girls and want to make sure their last day is as good as possible...

I have a store of sodium thiopental acquired for euthanasia when it's sadly needed. Since we started keeping chickens We've lost one (heart attack at a little over two years) and had to euthanize two. I've researched ALL the methods in depth and, based on our values and experience, we've decided sodium thiopental is the way to go. Yes, a vet can do this procedure, obviously. But the only vet is almost two hours away and I want our girls to be able to pass in the comfort of their home and flock; not in some alien medical facility. To say nothing of the sad hassle of driving the body two hours back to the homestead just to bury it.

Our alpha is ailing. She's going to be 7 in three weeks. One of the most amazing beings I've ever known. She is our "Adventure Chicken" who's been across the country twice, seen both oceans, camped in the redwoods, and stalwartly traveled all over the country with us. I took her to the vet on Monday for diagnosis. Her Xray revealed fluid in her lungs and the vet detected a slight arrhythmia. Her fecal float was totally clear. We've had her on doxy since Sunday and her breathing difficulties (which started Saturday night) improved significantly. But her activity level has fallen off a cliff. She's still eating, drinking, and pooping normally; although less due to decreased activity. She has VERY little stamina which is not-at-all like her; she's the feistiest (while still being kind and loving) chicken I've ever met.

The vet suspected possible heart issues. She's had a respiratory infection and year ago and her recovery from that (also on doxy) was remarkable. Not so now... I suspect her heart is beginning to give out. The vet recommended an MRI to diagnose the heart condition, but admitted that would do nothing to change treatment apart from informing a euthanasia plan...

She's holding steady for now, but I suspect that's temporary. An old heart does not improve with time. So I need to get this euthanasia plan sorted ASAP.

I've read all the material I can find on the euthanasia by ST and still have questions.

Q1.) Reconstituting the powder: There's enough powder in one vial to euthanize about five average sized chickens. If I reconstitute the whole vial, I can't imagine that can be stored/useful for long. Is that correct? I'd hate to "waste" 80% of it; but will do that If I have to.

Q2.) Dosage/Solution Concentration: recommended dosage for euthanasia is 60mg/kg body weight. And for euthanasia this can be injected. The mfg says begin "working solution" of 10%. They then give lots of guidelines about diluting the working solution down for anesthesia purposes. But they offer no instruction on euthanasia. If I use the working solution of 10%, then for a 3 kg bird that amounts to 1.8 ml of solution. Does that sound reasonable? I hope so; I do have 3ml syringes...

Q3.) Injection: The instruction for (I assume) euthanasia is to inject it "intraperitoneally" - that is into the abdominal cavity. Ok, fine. How do I do that? Can anyone provide instructions or links to information about how to do that with a chicken?

If you have read all this, thank you kindly. If you have knowledge that can help, I will be eternally grateful. I don't want to fumble my way through this. But I will if I have to. Our two previous euthanasia experiences were... incentive to "do it right." I think this way is the only "right" way for us and our girls.

Thank you for your time. All the best,
-HF

Have you asked your vet these questions yet?
Sorry for the delayed reply; work has been very demanding lately and our girl seems to have recovered to her "new normal." Still has more labored breathing than the younger ones; but she's feisty and back to her usual antics. Just takes more naps now...

Excellent question. I have not. I just assumed it would be a matter they would not want to discuss other than "bring her in..." I would be "taking 'business' away" from them on this course.

I need to call them anyway as they were supposed to send me the x-rays but haven't yet. I can certainly bring it up; though with they're busy schedule it's anyone's guess if the Dr. will want to talk without an appointment. We shall see. Thank you for the suggestion!

Sorry for the delayed reply; work has been very demanding lately and our girl seems to have recovered to her "new normal." Still has more labored breathing than the younger ones; but she's feisty and back to her usual antics. Just takes more naps now...

Excellent question. I have not. I just assumed it would be a matter they would not want to discuss other than "bring her in..." I would be "taking 'business' away" from them on this course.

I need to call them anyway as they were supposed to send me the x-rays but haven't yet. I can certainly bring it up; though with they're busy schedule it's anyone's guess if the Dr. will want to talk without an appointment. We shall see. Thank you for the suggestion!
My guess, is that they would be concerned about liability, if something went wrong (either to the chicken or human).

Youtube 'might' have something? IDK... seems like there's a 'DIY' video on just about everything, there.

You could always email these questions to the vet. I doubt they'd see it as you "taking business away" from them.

As for Q1, you are correct that the remaining solution would not keep. Once reconstituted most medications start to loose efficacy rather quickly. Most injections are meant to be used within 24 hours, and most oral medications are only good for about 10-14 days once reconstituted.

My guess, is that they would be concerned about liability, if something went wrong (either to the chicken or human).

Youtube 'might' have something? IDK... seems like there's a 'DIY' video on just about everything, there.
Good idea! I have worked with many vet med students and yeah, most of them have watched at least one YouTube video to help them prep for a surgery. If they can find spay videos on there surely there's a video tutorial on intraperitoneal injection.

I saw this thread earlier, but I think it is a bit scary that someone has possession of sodium Pentothal in their home. Drugs like that used in surgery are very controlled, and should not be in people’s possession. I once asked my vet if there was any way that with a physician and RN in our home, if we could have something to put down our elderly scared dog who was suffering. He just said, I understand, but there is no legal way I could give you medication. We then had them come to our home to euthanize the dog.

You could always email these questions to the vet. I doubt they'd see it as you "taking business away" from them.

As for Q1, you are correct that the remaining solution would not keep. Once reconstituted most medications start to loose efficacy rather quickly. Most injections are meant to be used within 24 hours, and most oral medications are only good for about 10-14 days once reconstituted.
Thank you very much for the reply!

Yes, I'll reach out to the vet this week. The worst they can say is "no comment." But hadn't thought of email... I'll try. Thanks again!

I use YT all the time for informational videos. I already found vids about reconstituting powdered medication. Didn't look for injection administration types yet. That's a good idea, I'll give it a go. Thank you for the reply and the suggestion!

I saw this thread earlier, but I think it is a bit scary that someone has possession of sodium Pentothal in their home. Drugs like that used in surgery are very controlled, and should not be in people’s possession. I once asked my vet if there was any way that with a physician and RN in our home, if we could have something to put down our elderly scared dog who was suffering. He just said, I understand, but there is no legal way I could give you medication. We then had them come to our home to euthanize the dog.
Thanks for the reply. I totally understand! Yes, there are no "proper channels" for acquiring it. We have very little money and it's just not practical to bring someone out here; I honestly don't even know if I could find someone who would travel even if I had the money.

I certainly wouldn't advocate this path for others. That's why I opened saying I understand why anyone with knowledge would not want to reply. It's a very difficult situation no matter how you slice it.

Back
Top Bottom