Euthanasia by Dry Ice

Indeed, a hard thing to do, and one I fear I must face soon. We've taken three chickens to the vet for euthanasia in the last three years, and while that let us believe it was done gently, it was expensive. After extensive research, I found this, real, academic, peer reviewed, information.

https://research.illinois.edu/files/upload/co2-euthanasia-of-swine-and-poultry.pdf

While it's clear that CO2 might not be the right choice for every type of animal, with just a little care to ensure they're exposed to high concentrations quickly (and from the sound of OP's description of the swiftness of effect, that seems assured in that case) it seems far more assuredly gentle than the other techniques one might try at home.

Remember, euthanasia isn't a fancy euphemism for "killing", it's specifically supposed to involve the painless loss of consciousness prior to death. It's evident that CO2 is anesthetic for chickens.

Some rather judging people on this forum… I did the best I could, with the best tools that I thought, and did my homework ahead of time. Sorry you don't like my approach, but death isn't pretty no matter what.
This is an unpleasant thing that many of us have experienced. I know reading unpleasant responses can be hurtful but please realize that while your pet passed in a seemingly peaceful way others that aren't aware of just how important to have the right information may find it helpful. I was glad that you were able to hold your friend as she passed.

Back
Top Bottom