Euthanasia without the blood?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
I have a young cockeral that I have to euthanize because something has happened to his legs and they just aren't getting any better. I can't stand the thought of chopping his head off or cutting his throat. I don't like the blood aspect. Yes, I know it's fast and humane. What are some other fast and humane ways that you guys have used? Also, what are some ways that you tried that you wouldn't do again and why. My husband usually deals with this kind of stuff, but he can't be around all of the time. Any advice will be appreciated.

Bullet.

More precisely, a pellet gun. It's a tried and true method. Tie the bird down and put the barrel next to it's head. Then shoot. Quick, easy, hardly any blood and the bird is dead instantly.

starter fluid(ether) available at auto supply or even walmart, comes in a spray can. soak a rag and place with the bird in an airtight container. if the bird is too big, nnbreeder said to have 2 rags handy, soak one hold it over their beak, not eyes, and switch out as needed. they will just go to sleep, which will eventually get deeper until they are gone. i think he said it may take 30 min or so. but it is completely painless for them, wish i could say the same for you. sorry you have to do this and i hope you find comfort in knowing it was the right thing for him.

You could take him to the vet which should charge about $10. to euthanize...I think that once in awhile it's called for especially if you're dealing with a bird that you've tried to save....course it's best not to look at the assistants that are trying hard not to smirk at the idea of "euthanizing a chicken"
smack.gif

Quote:
Of coarse I'm such a dummy. I have a pellet gun. Pink too! So what part of the head do I place the barrel on? On the top of the head,side, or? Just give me an approximate measurement. I just want to get it right the first time.

According to this chart (I got this to make it easier to understand)

chicken_anatomy.jpg

It would be a dead on shot inbetween the auditory opening and the eyeball.

Please note that the starter fluid method (ether) is not painless and takes quite some time. I've done it myself, and I'm not sure I can ever do it again. After doing it, I found out that it's basically suffocating them. I'm not sure I can deal with the blood aspect, but I now personally feel the ether method is inhumane...just my opinion. That being said, I guess suffocating a sick bird for 1/2 hour or however long it takes it probably better than letting it continue to suffer.

I would do it from the top down my self, since the chicken brain is wider than it is thick.
chicken.skull.jpg

The closer the shot to the rear of the brain near the brain stem the better since that is the part which controls the most basic functions in the chicken. Then again, chicken brains are pretty smooth...

Most of my birds, when sick, roll their head sideways rather than straight up or down. But yes, the method that silkiechicken described would work as well.

I'm so glad that I posted my question. You guys have been so helpful. Not to mention you have calmed my nerves. May Black Beard rest peacefully up in that big chicken coop in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom