Euthanize? Recurring leg tremors, loss of balance

I did a lot of searches on Marek's too. Seems its manifestation can be quite varied. I do know she was not vaccinated for it. There were 6 unvaccinated hens that joined 9 with unknown vax record. (That won't happen again! :( ) Of the 6 unvaccinated, other than the hen I described, I have an 18 mo old sussex that has been on and off sleepy with little appetite. She is molting, so I'm not sure if that is part of it. Her symptoms are completely different. Not even one is the same.

Today she did some standing and walking around the crate for the first time in a week. I think I'll give her another week or so and see if she can join the others. If she takes a turn for the worse, I'll probably euthanize her. I had planned on getting a necropsy done, but if I plan to vaccinate any new chicks, does it really matter for me to know for sure?

Well, I might put one down tomorrow. I am planning to get a necropsy because I've been seeing weird symptoms in my flock, off and on, for about a year. I would like to know what it is to be sure I am not missing something treatable, and also to know if it's okay to add new chickens to my current flock, in the future. I want to know what diseases(s) my current flock is carrying. These sorts of neurological symptoms are occasionally caused by other things, like antifreeze poisoning, botulism, and a variety of contagious diseases aside from Marek's.

An update:

Sadly, we euthanized our chicken Mid Jan. She had a miraculous recovery after the November incident. (A month before she had had a similar episode that took about 3 weeks to recover from.) This second episode started the same way. One day I noticed her walk slightly crooked. By the second night, she was unable to get up to her roost. By the third night, she couldn't stand. So after three days of not being able to stand, I decided I would have her euthanized. I had researched for hours upon hours, had vet visits, stool samples, vitamin therapy, and wasn't sure what else to do. That morning when I went out to see her, she was able to balance on her legs. During the previous episode, the transition from lying on her side to balance on her legs had taken several days. This time it happened overnight. I was so happy.

Jan 14th, I noticed she was walking slightly funny. Within 25 hours, she wasn't able to walk. It was extremely cold here, my husband did not want our garage to turn into a chicken hospital again, and I had surgery scheduled for 3 days from then. I decided to euthanize her since it just didn't seem like her quality of life was good with the ups and downs. I didn't have a necropsy done. My other birds all seem fine, so I'm attributing it to possibly a genetic problem right now. I'll re-evaluate if anyone else gets sick, but they've been together now for 6 months. It was heartbreaking. After spending all those hours spoon feeding her and what I call chicken PT, you feel pretty close to them.

I am finding out that Merricks Is very common. It is a nasty Disease. I have had 2 roos with merricks but all my hens are fine and they have been with both Roos constantly. My husband does not like to separate them because he thinks the Roos will get more depressed. Oh also had the roos two months apart. First one was culled and two months later got the second and a month later he is down. I bring him and the hens in every night because I do not want the Roo to get chilled because he is so skinny. I am in Florida but its getting down in the 50's so there is a little nip in the air. I figure keeping him warm is good for him. I am trying the colloidal silver but so far nothing. Maybe your hen had Merricks. I have been told by several experts that it does not go away. If they get through it it almost always comes back. I am hoping this second Roo who is sick now will prove them wrong but it is probably wishful thinking. I am new to chickens, less then a year and I tell you they are harder than my horses, dogs, and cats! I thought Horses were sensitive but they have nothing on Chickens. Wow I have been through horse Deaths and Dog Deaths but at least with them I know 100% what is wrong and there is no chance but with the chickens boy they keep you guessing and you keep hope! Thats the hardest part I think! I am so sorry to hear about your chicken I know what you had to go through. It rips your heart out!

I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Black combs can be a sign of pulmonary and circulatory issues.

Is there anything else you can tell us? The more info we have, the better we can help.

Has he been eating? Drinking? Change in pupil size or eye color?

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom