Euthanized Guinea Pig Support Needed

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends,
Normally I’m posting about my chickens but today I’m needing a little support in regards to me having to euthanize my suffering Guinea pig Chewy. My 4 year old piggy recently became very sick. Respitory I’m assuming. He went downhill super fast. I’m not in a situation where a vet is an option so I did all I could here at home. Last night I could tell he was suffering.. 3 days of “letting him die naturally” and I just couldn’t stand it anymore as he started to display discomfort. He had stuff in his nose…couldn’t breath, spasms, whining and after 10 minutes of witnessing I begged my husband to take him out of his misery. It was the hardest decision to make and every Guinea pig forum I’ve been on shames people for doing this. I’ve seen many responsible chicken owners do this on this forum so I assumed maybe someone could help me justify what I did. Without details, he didn’t feel a thing or even know. He died quickly in his special cage around sounds of voices he knew for years. Taking him to a vet (not an option) would have been TERRIFYING for him. I didn’t want his last moments to be that but the guilt of ending his life has really got me rattled. 😭💔 Does anyone have a similar experience? I miss him dearly but the choice to end his life has me so distraught. 🙏🏻😭

Hi friends,
Normally I’m posting about my chickens but today I’m needing a little support in regards to me having to euthanize my suffering Guinea pig Chewy. My 4 year old piggy recently became very sick. Respitory I’m assuming. He went downhill super fast. I’m not in a situation where a vet is an option so I did all I could here at home. Last night I could tell he was suffering.. 3 days of “letting him die naturally” and I just couldn’t stand it anymore as he started to display discomfort. He had stuff in his nose…couldn’t breath, spasms, whining and after 10 minutes of witnessing I begged my husband to take him out of his misery. It was the hardest decision to make and every Guinea pig forum I’ve been on shames people for doing this. I’ve seen many responsible chicken owners do this on this forum so I assumed maybe someone could help me justify what I did. Without details, he didn’t feel a thing or even know. He died quickly in his special cage around sounds of voices he knew for years. Taking him to a vet (not an option) would have been TERRIFYING for him. I didn’t want his last moments to be that but the guilt of ending his life has really got me rattled. 😭💔 Does anyone have a similar experience? I miss him dearly but the choice to end his life has me so distraught. 🙏🏻😭
I think you did the right thing under the circumstances. That took a lot of selflessness to put his needs before your happiness. I'm so sorry you lost your little Chewy.

I got shamed at my former vet's office because I brought my cat in to be euthanized. She had end stage kidney disease and was on death's door. She seemed fine that morning, but when I got home from work, she'd gone downhill and was clearly in pain. When I got to the vet that night, the vet and the assistants said they'd give me time with her before they euthanized her. I said I didn't want time with her and asked them just to do it right then. She was just too miserable, and I knew that the sooner she died, the better. The employees gave each other meaningful looks (raised eyebrows, wide eyes - like "Wow, what a b****") and were kind of passive aggressive about it and abrupt with me after that. I stayed with my kitty and held her until she passed. But I'm never went back to that vet after I picked up Lily's ashes.

You did the best you could and it was a great mercy to him that you let him go. You were in the right and you shouldn't feel guilty for what you did. Putting our special pets down is hard but it really is the right thing. Stay strong :hugs
Thank you so much ♥️ I’ve never done this before with a pet so the decision has me a bit traumatized. I do appreciate this so much 💕🐷

I think you did the right thing under the circumstances. That took a lot of selflessness to put his needs before your happiness. I'm so sorry you lost your little Chewy.

I got shamed at my former vet's office because I brought my cat in to be euthanized. She had end stage kidney disease and was on death's door. She seemed fine that morning, but when I got home from work, she'd gone downhill and was clearly in pain. When I got to the vet that night, the vet and the assistants said they'd give me time with her before they euthanized her. I said I didn't want time with her and asked them just to do it right then. She was just too miserable, and I knew that the sooner she died, the better. The employees gave each other meaningful looks (raised eyebrows, wide eyes - like "Wow, what a b****") and were kind of passive aggressive about it and abrupt with me after that. I stayed with my kitty and held her until she passed. But I'm never went back to that vet after I picked up Lily's ashes.
Geez what an awful moment for you! We truly do the best for our pets in that moment. To be honest with Chewy a trip to vet would have been worse. He was a fearful little guy and had I taken the 3+ hour trip to an exotic vet his final moments would have been of sheer fear! Guinea pig forums are tough… no one understand different circumstances. “You shouldn’t have had him if you don’t have a vet option… surrender him” I’ve seen so much support here for people who have to cull their chickens so I thought this would be an appropriate place. Thanks again for your kind words for my piggy and all the help with my 🐓 you gave previously too ♥️

Thank you so much ♥️ I’ve never done this before with a pet so the decision has me a bit traumatized. I do appreciate this so much 💕🐷
It is the hardest thing we have to do for the animals we love. But it is also the greatest service we can give them.
Take a big breath. Realize that now he is no longer in pain, and remember the good times you had together.
:hugs

Geez what an awful moment for you! We truly do the best for our pets in that moment. To be honest with Chewy a trip to vet would have been worse. He was a fearful little guy and had I taken the 3+ hour trip to an exotic vet his final moments would have been of sheer fear! Guinea pig forums are tough… no one understand different circumstances. “You shouldn’t have had him if you don’t have a vet option… surrender him” I’ve seen so much support here for people who have to cull their chickens so I thought this would be an appropriate place. Thanks again for your kind words for my piggy and all the help with my 🐓 you gave previously too ♥️
Omg. That is AWFUL. I'm so sorry that people can be so friggin heartless.

Sorry for your loss.
It takes strength and love to give our pets an easy death. Don't ever feel guilty for what you did to save him from suffering. I have been in those shoes and it's hard to shake sometimes. Just know that for all his life he had a good life because of you! ❣️
Your actions area admirable!

Hugs to you in your heartbreaking time.

We had to do the same type euthanasia with our precious Lucy (dog). She was a rescue that was PETRIFIED of any place where there were multiples of animals for fear she would be abandoned yet again. Hubby and son took her out to the woods and loved on her and cried… then did what was most humane FOR HER.
No judgment here. The most loving decisions aren’t the easiest. Lotsa love❤️

Back
Top Bottom