Euthanizing a chicken - Please learn from my mistake

Hi. I'm so sorry that you had such an upsetting experience.
I am wondering if you are perhaps beating yourself up needlessly though. Animals and chickens in particular, often have nerve impulses and muscle spasms after death and they last for a remarkably long time. This certainly happens with decapitation and cervical dislocation in chickens where you can be pretty sure once the head is off, the bird is effectively dead but the spasms can continue for over a minute and decapitated birds have even been known to get up and run off.
I understand it is very upsetting to experience this, especially when you are not expecting it, but it does not necessarily mean that the bird has suffered conscious trauma.
I would like to think that the sounds and struggling that you observed were after death impulses and not the bird panicking and suffering. I hope that provides you with some comfort as well as the knowledge that you would almost certainly have encountered this situation if you had opted for one of the more physical methods.

Personally, I prefer those physical methods because I am confident that it is quick, but I appreciate it is not for everyone. I was reading a post recently on this forum about using ether in the form of starting fuel and I wonder if that might be a better method as it was used as an anaesthetic prior to modern medicine, so will put to sleep before becoming fatal. I can remember that it was used to kill the rats in biology class that were used for dissection a lot of years ago when I was at school.

Thank you for posting this.

I may need to euthanize a dear chicken friend and am doing what I can to learn about this process and rehearse in my mind the steps I'll take to assure a swift and humane death.

I am sorry for the experience you had and
I'm sorry that your chicken got sick to begin with.

Please know that you did what you thought was best at the time to end her suffering.

From your post it is obvious that Coco was loved and cared for.
It's my belief that what memories she carried with her at the end, were ones of the happy life you two provided, not a moment of confusion at the end.

I just came across this-I know how you felt because I feel that way now. I had to euthanize my first chicken last night after 2 weeks of trying to treat probable Mareks. I fought for her because she was fighting. But when I came home yesterday she was suffering and my husband was at work. I read all the techniques. I wasn’t comfortable with cervical manipulation. I decided on decapitation although it seemed very traumatic and out of a horror movie. I didn’t feel comfortable with a knife. I used my husband’s table saw. I started puking and hyperventilating afterwards. Couldn’t sleep last night. I’ve felt sick all day. I know I’m an animal lover and tenderhearted but I’m a nurse so I thought I could handle it. I know I did the right thing but I feel so awful and I’m not sure I’ll ever forget that.

I just came across this-I know how you felt because I feel that way now. I had to euthanize my first chicken last night after 2 weeks of trying to treat probable Mareks. I fought for her because she was fighting. But when I came home yesterday she was suffering and my husband was at work. I read all the techniques. I wasn’t comfortable with cervical manipulation. I decided on decapitation although it seemed very traumatic and out of a horror movie. I didn’t feel comfortable with a knife. I used my husband’s table saw. I started puking and hyperventilating afterwards. Couldn’t sleep last night. I’ve felt sick all day. I know I’m an animal lover and tenderhearted but I’m a nurse so I thought I could handle it. I know I did the right thing but I feel so awful and I’m not sure I’ll ever forget that.
Dear @pugspigchicks,
:hugs
What I said to the OP of this thread needs to be repeated here:

Please know that you did what you thought was best at the time to end her suffering.

From your post it is obvious that your sweet bird was loved and cared for.
It's my belief that what memories she carried with her at the end, were ones of the happy life you provided, not a moment of fear or pain or confusion at the end.

I think with loss that was as viscerally traumatic as yours, you have to allow yourself to come to terms with it over time. In order to be able to put it in a safe place in your mind, then move on, you have to do this. Blocking it out won’t help in the long term because that will also block out the memories you have of loving her and experiencing the joy that her life brought you!
This takes time. I know this for a fact.
I’ve suffered many losses, including the loss of a son by suicide.
I am sending you a hug.
Stacey j

Dear @pugspigchicks,
:hugs
What I said to the OP of this thread needs to be repeated here:

From your post it is obvious that your sweet bird was loved and cared for.
It's my belief that what memories she carried with her at the end, were ones of the happy life you provided, not a moment of fear or pain or confusion at the end.

I think with loss that was as viscerally traumatic as yours, you have to allow yourself to come to terms with it over time. In order to be able to put it in a safe place in your mind, then move on, you have to do this. Blocking it out won’t help in the long term because that will also block out the memories you have of loving her and experiencing the joy that her life brought you!
This takes time. I know this for a fact.
I’ve suffered many losses, including the loss of a son by suicide.
I am sending you a hug.
Stacey j

Stacey- thank you so much for this. I’m sorry about the loss of your son. I’ve lost my mom and my sister and some how wasn’t prepared for this. Thank you for your empathy and kind words as they brought me a comfort. I know Darla left knowing I tried so hard to save her.

Back
Top Bottom