Evacuated Chickens

bdog

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Natchez, Ms. 39120
I live in Natchez, MS and some friends across the river called and asked me to keep thier (11) Buffs during the highwater!

I have 16, RR, PBR, EE.

Is there anything I need to do!

I have an 8x8 house, 25'x25' fenced area around it and let my chickens out into a 1 acre fenced in yard for about 4 hrs a day from4-5 pm until dark!

I think the visit would be about a 4-6 week stay!

Any advice is welcome!!

Jimmy

Normally I would say you need to quarantine... but this is an emergency! Possibly treat with Ivomectin for internal & external parasites. You'll be taking some chances so... how good a friends are these?

It would be very hard for me to turn these people down. I'd certainly ask whether they had ever seen runny noses or eyes or sneezing or any other sign of illness, and whether they had wormed them, and go from there.

If they are clean and no signs of problems I would help them in a heartbeat. But, is there any way to separate the two flocks? Maybe chicken wire off a section and give them a shed or boxes for shelter separate from your flock? I put a fence inside a fence once just to give plenty of fresh air space in between to "quaranteen" (sp?) them.

BLESS YOUR HEART! You might just have the BEST flock on your hands now - - AND once everything is back to normal in your area.
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom