Make me feel better about penning my former free-rangers :(

Last year we moved out of city limits onto 2 acres and got 8 hens in December with quaint dreams of the chickens free ranging around the property while we were out working "alongside them." The coop that I built was from a design I found online and only had a small-ish (8' x 4') run.

After a couple months of free-ranging it became a headache being worried all the time about where the hens were. Moving from the suburbs, 2 acres felt gigantic. I thought chickens would be too "chicken" to venture far from their coop/home but we have neighbors on 3 sides and the hens kept wandering off into their yards and getting chased by their dogs. I also got really worried they were going to go into my one neighbor's garage while he had it open and poop everywhere (like they did in our garage - which was making me have to remember to keep the garage closed at all times, which also meant I wouldn't be able to work comfortably in the garage in the summer when it will get hot). I found myself constantly glancing out the windows to try to account for the chickens and getting worried (about them having gotten snatched or just wandering too far into a neighbor's property) if I couldn't spot all of them. We also had to wall off the deck so they couldn't get up on it and poop everywhere, and I have had to spray off the front porch every day or two. We didn't want them free-ranging when we were all gone from the house, so going anywhere with the family required a new chore of rounding up the chickens back into the run, which I felt bad about on days when we were gone all day bc the run seemed small for them.

Long story short, just yesterday I finished building a new run that attaches to the old run. I felt so bad about penning them up and hopefully made it large enough (16' x 20') that it will be comfortable. So now they have the old 8' x 4' run and the new 20' x 16' run as well as the space directly under the coop which is screened in (5' x 6'). Today is their first day not free-ranging and I would love some encouragement that I'm not ruining their lives.:hitHopefully in the future we can get a fence around our backyard and let them free range again "part time." Is there anything I can do to encourage more bugs in the run??
Hi, Don't worry! They will soon tell you if they don't have enough space by ganging up at the gate into the run and/or you will see them pecking each other, which chickens do when penned too closely. Chickens are hugely sociable animals and normally love to be together. We also have had to pen our free-rangers because of bird-flu but they remain healthy and happy. As to bugs for them to eat, if the run is on grass you don't need to do anything. The bugs will be there. If it is on dry earth, then might I suggest putting down a load of leaf mould? Our chucks love the scratch among the fallen leaves where a load of bugs live. Maybe move your compost heap into the run? Our chucks adore the compost heap.

I don't know why people are worried about not letting their chickens free range. I live on a lake, and we have hawks and Bald Eagles overhead all the time. If I let my chickens free range, it would be free chicken lunch for the predators and I would be a former owner of a backyard flock in no time.

I built a nice chicken run, with bird netting on top to prevent aerial attacks, and my chickens are doing just fine. Over time, I converted my entire chicken run into a chicken run composting system, essentially bringing the free range to them in terms of grass clippings, leaves, garden weeds, etc... My chickens appear to be happy. They are certainly safe.

I converted my entire chicken run into a chicken run composting system. The compost is full of worms and bugs. My chickens spend all day outside scratching and pecking in the compost litter finding worms and bugs to eat. Not only do they enjoy that activity, but my commercial feed cost goes down by half in the summertime when the chickens are outside on the compost in the run.

I started off with a nice green grass chicken run. Then the chickens ate all the grass down to the dirt. I added a compost bin inside the chicken run, which was a big success. Over time, I converted my entire chicken run into a chicken run composting system. That has worked out best for me and my chickens.

I have not had any problems with composting in the chicken run. But, as I have said, over time I converted my entire chicken run into a chicken run composting system. It never smells, and I harvest hundreds of dollars worth of black gold compost for my garden every spring, summer, and fall. I tell people I have composting chickens and get eggs as a bonus.

I toss my kitchen scraps and leftovers into the chicken run in the morning when I let out my chickens. The kitchen scraps are usually gone within a few minutes, so there is nothing left to attract predators.

What the chickens don't eat, which is very little, just gets mixed into the compost litter to become bug and worm food. For example, I'll toss out watermelon rinds to the chickens. They will eat most of the flesh of the watermelon, but I will find a thin strip of the rind left at the end of the day. Same with bananas, they will eat the white part of the banana peel but leave the thin skin to get composted in the litter.

If I go out fishing and have fish guts from cleaning, I will also toss them into the chicken run. The chickens will peck away at the fish guts throughout the day. If there are any fish remains left at the end of the day, I will typically bury it into the compost litter in the run. I have never had any predator problems with burying fish in my compost. If I did, I would just remove the fish remains at the end of the day. Burying the fish remains in the compost just adds more good stuff for composting and the bugs and worms love to eat that kind of stuff. In any case, the fish remains automagically vanish in a few days inside the compost.

Chickens are omnivores, and I don't hesitate to toss leftover bits and pieces of meat into the chicken run. It all gets eaten in no time at all and I have never seen any meat left at the end of the day when I put my chickens into the coop for the night.

If you have an active composting system in the chicken run, then you really don't need any other distractions for the chickens. My chickens are active all day scratching and pecking in the compost litter, creating compost for the garden in the process. It's a great system, my chickens appear to be happy, and I get lots of compost and eggs.
Totally agree. I like that nothing goes to waste from the kitchen when you keep chickens. I put the left-overs out in bowls, so the chucks know it is food. Mostly the bowls are cleaned out instantly. Anything that is not finished I bin. If your run is properly protected from predators, i.e. avian netting on top and the wire around the sides dug in facing outwards, then you shouldn't have any problem with predators.

Last year we moved out of city limits onto 2 acres and got 8 hens in December with quaint dreams of the chickens free ranging around the property while we were out working "alongside them." The coop that I built was from a design I found online and only had a small-ish (8' x 4') run.

After a couple months of free-ranging it became a headache being worried all the time about where the hens were. Moving from the suburbs, 2 acres felt gigantic. I thought chickens would be too "chicken" to venture far from their coop/home but we have neighbors on 3 sides and the hens kept wandering off into their yards and getting chased by their dogs. I also got really worried they were going to go into my one neighbor's garage while he had it open and poop everywhere (like they did in our garage - which was making me have to remember to keep the garage closed at all times, which also meant I wouldn't be able to work comfortably in the garage in the summer when it will get hot). I found myself constantly glancing out the windows to try to account for the chickens and getting worried (about them having gotten snatched or just wandering too far into a neighbor's property) if I couldn't spot all of them. We also had to wall off the deck so they couldn't get up on it and poop everywhere, and I have had to spray off the front porch every day or two. We didn't want them free-ranging when we were all gone from the house, so going anywhere with the family required a new chore of rounding up the chickens back into the run, which I felt bad about on days when we were gone all day bc the run seemed small for them.

Long story short, just yesterday I finished building a new run that attaches to the old run. I felt so bad about penning them up and hopefully made it large enough (16' x 20') that it will be comfortable. So now they have the old 8' x 4' run and the new 20' x 16' run as well as the space directly under the coop which is screened in (5' x 6'). Today is their first day not free-ranging and I would love some encouragement that I'm not ruining their lives.:hitHopefully in the future we can get a fence around our backyard and let them free range again "part time." Is there anything I can do to encourage more bugs in the run??
I don’t know about bugs but my hens can go out when they choose when the coop door is open. They have a large coop in our second garage and a nice size run which we are enlarging this summer. They are very happy and are ten months old now. We are adding more indoor space for babies this spring with screen in between so they can see the big hens while growing up. I can’t wait until the chicks come in!!

We never had chickens and started last year with raising chicks. We currently have 8 (two younger ones we recently rescued might be roosters.) We have a run of about 200 sq feet and a coop about 10x20. They have all grown well, 6 are laying eggs and they are safe. They are not free ranging and although I sometimes feel sorry they aren’t free I’ve had a chance to witness what predators do to our neighbors free ranging hens and roosters. We see enough of roaming dogs, foxes and hawks chasing and eating them on our property. I breath a sigh of relief ours are out of harms way.

Chickens adapt well to their environment. I had to leave 11 chickens who free range on 50 acres in a 8' x 30' run for a month while we were away. When they are out they sit in a garden of about the same size as the run for about 75% of the day anyway. Once yours know this is where they are they will be fine. I found giving them fresh treats in the pen like water melon or fresh corn was a good idea. I also put sprouted seeds in a couple of saucers from under pots in with them to give them plenty of greens and rotated them once they were all scratched out. Mine still free range, but some days I keep them in until the afternoon just to make sure the girls aren't off laying somewhere I can't find. Don't beat yourself up. They are very adaptable!

It's fine. You don't want to be *that* neighbor, and those dogs will do more than chase them, given the chance. You can always let them out for supervised free range time. Or get movable fencing. Plus that run is a great size for 8 chickens! I think they're lucky!

I had to pen mine when we moved to 3 acres. Too many predators! I take them for walks when I can. I also put a bunch of stuff in their run for them to perch on, etc. And I have grazing boxes to give them access to greens year round (except when the boxes are buried under snow like they are currently).

They'll be happy and healthy! And you'll feel better because you won't have to worry.
Your chickens will always tell you that you are ruining their lives. It's ok. :)
First mine said I was ruining their lives by putting them to bed in their coop instead of on my back porch where they wanted to stay up until 10-11PM. (Like small children!)
Then they complain I'm ruining their lives when it rains and I don't let them out.
I ruin their lives for letting them out and then they get wet and want back in.
I too have put a fence up around one of the porches - RUDE!
The turkey decided January was a good time to molt so I let her sleep in the living room as long as she stayed in the kiddie pool... She started letting herself out so she went back in the coop, is now cold, and I have ruined her life yet again.
I put perches in the coop so they didn't have to sleep on the flat table thing that was in there - they hated the perches.
I rearranged the coop so they'd be more sheltered from the wind in the winter and they said I ruined the coop! Refused to lay eggs in the normal spot anymore. Finally use the perches.
They say the bugs are better in the barn where the goats live, until the goats come in there too and then they complain the goats have ruined their lives.
It will always be something.

I'm still happy I have them! Today is their first birthday!!! :)

You are doing the right thing. It is for their own good and your own peace of mine, and you’re being a good neighbor.

You are not ruining their lives.

As for more bugs in the run, how about dumping your kitchen scraps and garden clippings, wood chips in a section of the run. Essentially, you’re turning a section of it to be your compost area. The chickens will scratch and eat the scraps, leave manure that get mixed-in with the scraps, which in turn will give them the bugs they can eat and compost for your garden. It’s a win-win.

You didn’t mention about the floor of the run. Are you doing deep bedding? That will give them extra bugs as they scratch and the bedding breaks down. You may need to dig or turn here and there from time to time, to help them see more bugs.

Good luck! You have very lucky chickens.

You are doing the right thing. It is for their own good and your own peace of mine, and you’re being a good neighbor.

You are not ruining their lives.

As for more bugs in the run, how about dumping your kitchen scraps and garden clippings, wood chips in a section of the run. Essentially, you’re turning a section of it to be your compost area. The chickens will scratch and eat the scraps, leave manure that get mixed-in with the scraps, which in turn will give them the bugs they can eat and compost for your garden. It’s a win-win.

You didn’t mention about the floor of the run. Are you doing deep bedding? That will give them extra bugs as they scratch and the bedding breaks down. You may need to dig or turn here and there from time to time, to help them see more bugs.

Good luck! You have very lucky chickens.
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'd like to do the compost idea. The run floor is dirt and I was planning to do deep bedding. What material would you recommend for a large outdoor space? Still pine shavings?

What material would you recommend for a large outdoor space? Still pine shavings?

If you plan on making compost in your chicken run, then you need to dump in all kinds of organic litter you can get your hands on. Pine shavings will work, of course, but they will take a long time to compost by themselves. I don't use pine shavings as coop litter because I have better, free, options available.

My chicken run has no roof, just bird netting on top. I toss all my grass clippings, leaves, kitchen scraps, weeds from the lawn and garden, spent coop bedding, and just about anything else that I can get for free. I can get free wood chips at our local county landfill and that makes great brown material for composting, much like pine shavings, but you need a lot of greens like grass clippings to get that composting action to heat up.

I switched from using wood chips as deep litter in my chicken coop to using paper shreds I make at home for the past two winters. The paper shreds compost much faster than wood chips when I toss them out into the chicken run. They are also much lighter to scoop up and haul out than the wood chips. So, I have come to prefer using paper shreds in the coop. Also, it has almost eliminated the amount of paper products we haul off to the recycle center. That used to be the bulk of our "garbage" in days gone by. But, no more.

Whatever coop bedding you decide to use, it should be compostable when you toss it out into the chicken run. Personally, I would avoid coop litter such as sand because you won't get much composting benefit from it. I always try to find what I can get for free and use that as litter.

FYI, I live on a lake and have all the free sand in the world. But I found that it takes too much effort to keep the sand clean and I was constantly replacing soiled, smelly sand, with fresh sand. Using the deep litter or deep bedding methods with paper shreds, wood chips, etc... just works out so much better for me.

Back
Top Bottom