Evening predation - but it came back during the day???

Just wanted to update in the last few weeks....

First we did a full lockdown - we had them locked in the coop and run for the weekend twice when we went out of town, for a little over 24 hours. They don't like it...but they are alive.
We've got a fenced area that does not include the rest of the backyard and we let them out occasionally to graze but have been keeping them in the fenced area. One night this week, that fella who lives here to whom I am married forgot to shut them in but we were fortunate and no loss. (I get home well after dark now).

The TRAP -
We have been setting that sucker every night that we've been home. Some nights the cat food was gone, and others nada missing. We finally caught one opossum. A little dude. Darned if he was not cute. He was cute. I felt guilty. My husband took him to the cemetery and let him loose there. I've read about not relocating, but at least he's got a fighting chance....
We've set it every night and two nights ago, it was sprung with all the food gone. Last night they just ate all the food and left, without springing it. I readily admit these critters are smarter than I am.
Our friend suggested a can of tuna or wet cat food with the lid partially off to create the need for the animal to dig in more so it will spring the trap. He has been fighting raccoons and opossums as well, but has a gun, shoots or hits w/shovel after they are caught, lets them rot, then feeds the remains to his chickens once it's decomposed enough. While I shudder a bit - it's really the ultimate in recycling and a bit of poetic justice. I just don't think I'm up for that.

anyway - we are still trying and relieved we've had several weeks without incident.....and very low egg production.

best wishes, maybe if you catch another one your neighbor can take it and do as he does to make it good for his chickens. I'm pretty sure I would not want to relocate a dangerous animal once I trapped it.

Just be aware that you may catch something that may be difficult to deal with. We have caught our share of skunks.....need I say more?
barnie.gif

I shot a skunk the other night, after trying for months to catch it out and about. Two days later, we've got another one about....

I'm sure they are good for something but I'm glad you shot one. I hope you get the rest near you. Thankfully I have not seen any that close to us but we sure do smell them when they get hit on the road.

Back
Top Bottom