ever been attacked by a guinea ??

what time of year was it you got the eggs, and are you sure they didn't move the nest?? They don't like to be disturbed, at least ours didn't. They free ranged by day and NEVER NEVER laid an egg in the hen house. Sometimes we would find the nest and if the guinea literally saw us take an egg out, she would not go back to the nest. They would sometimes go in one thicket of brush only to come out and go somewhere else to throw you off. It's if they were hiding easter eggs.

All of my guineas freerange except my lavenders. They go off and lay a nest somewhere and return with a clutch of keets a month later. You better not try to get near her keets unless you want to get whipped!

It was last November when I last got eggs from them. They don't free range. Last time they did they flew into my neighbor's yard and two were killed by his dogs.

Yeah, been there done that!
lol.png

You'd think they'd make awesome moms, but they don't.
hmm.png

That link is too funny! They hide the nest pretty good, but as long as you can get close pulling a broody guinea off the nest is easy. They try to peck you the whole way back to the coop lol, but it doesn't hurt. I had read so many horror stories on here I was terrified when I had to grab my first broody guinea off the nest. We have foxes, bears and some kinda wolf or coyote in our woods....I can't let them sit out there! I wore gloves and long sleeves in the middle of july
lol.png
but I just picked her up and held her against my side on the way back to the coop (head facing away) and she tried, but didn't peck me once. I've pulled several off since and never got hurt.

Quote:
Try taking a guinea hen away from her beloved keets/chicks. It's a much more interesting experience than taking her away from her eggs.
lol.png

Taking her away from her eggs is very boring in comparison.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom