ever done a dry hatch for ducks ?

Do you mean this?

If so, I'd be interested in knowing also. My best actual hatch rate came when I realized my wells in the incubator had gone dry in the weeks before I moved the eggs to the very humid hatcher.

I have ducks in this time...

I don't use water in the incubator, only spritz the eggs once a day when I turn them after I've allowed them to cool for about 15 minutes. My best hatches have occurred after adopting this.

It all depends on the humidity of where you live (and/or in the incubation room). When I lived in Texas, I could easily do dry hatches. In fact, if anything- sometimes the humidity was too high.

Here in Colorado though, I would think dry hatching would be very difficult. I have never tried it because it is so hard as it is to keep the humidity in a decent range even with a large water surface area in the incubator.

With the rains here, the humidity has been ranging toward 70% on "dry" days and 90%+ during the actual rain storms, n my kitchen where I have the incubators.

I have a hygrometer measuring the ambient inside air in the kitchen telling me this. I've been shocked that I'm not getting thunder storms over the stove.

I brought some bantam chicken eggs in from outside yesterday and candled some of the more evenly sized ones to look for the air cell. Well, after I barely found the tiny air cell, I candled the rest I brought in that day and found the same thing. I think what I will do is allow the water to run out from the wells and check the air cells again.

When I hatched out Uno, I didn't realize my son had been continually opening the incubator during the hatch. I had all kinds of problems and Uno's sibling actually died. Uno's eyes were so bad I thought she was blind. Turns out they were just crusted shut. It took a week of saline cleanings to get them to clear. I am surprised she can see.

So dry hatching in Colorado would NOT be a good idea. If I lived in a place with very high humidity, it might work though.

Last edited:
our humidity here is soooo unpredictable last week it was humid as all get out and this week dry as a rock soo i have to have humidity in my incubator!!!!! but in the south i think you could do a dry hatch and be fine.......i also have a question could you have your water wells full and spritz them??? would that be too much

Back
Top Bottom