Ever had this before if so what is it

RN chicken mom

Hatching
Jan 21, 2023
20230923_155149.jpg

Have you seen this before on your eggs? They are small balls of what appears to be shell. They are loose and wipe away easily. I did just deworm my girls could that be the cause of the deposits?
Newer to raising chickens and any information is appreciated
Thanks - RN Chicken mom

These are calcium pimples. It happens, it can mean that the chicken has too much calicum going on (5g is usual amount calcium when in lay).

It can also mean paradoxically that there is too little calcium amount in their diet, and calcium is mobile in the chicken system.

It can also mean that they had a big intake of calcium for some time before egg laying. Brown egg could be a breed that is also susceptible to oviduct disease.
Are you saying that brown layers are a breed or that a breed of brown layer?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I mean layers of brown eggs seem to have it worse than others for oviduct damage and disease. Pimpled eggs could mean a calcium issue as much as it can mean oviduct disease. And given the brown egg in your good photo it looks like a brown egg laying breed. So chances are there may be some calcium issues, or some oviduct issues, even scarring in the oviduct or peritonitis possibility at some time.
Not my photo

There are lots of brown laying breeds that don't have an issue with reproductive problems. What happens is most sexlink and egg factory crosses are ones that lay a darker egg. But laying brown doesn't cause it more than laying a blue or white egg

Ca dots can and do just happen, for a whole host of reasons. I wash my eggs, and they wash off. One thing I do is check inside those eggs occasionally to make sure the Ca balls are not inside. Sometimes they get inside the white during the egg formation process - once a hen starts doing this, I usually only use her eggs to refeed to the chickens or eat them myself. The Ca balls won't hurt you to consume, but it's a little unnerving when they crunch. And I wouldn't sell those eggs once the hen starts letting the Ca balls inside occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom