Ever have geese that just will not fit in?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DuckyBoys, Mar 27, 2009.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I need to get rid of at least 3 geese - these guys/girls are just complete outcasts and the others pick on them something terrible. Anyone ever have a few geese that just couldn't find a place in your flock?

I just gave away a nice embden because everyone hated her - she went to live with a lady who's embden gander lost his mate and was depressed and so far is having a much better life in my opinion.

Last night it there was a blizzard and the "misfit" geese must have gotten tormented trying to seek shelter with the others. I left two doggie doors open so they had access to two stalls and figured one trio could stay in one stall and the other trio of misfits could stay in the other, but it was very clear that a LOT of feather picking went on last night between the two groups.

I need to get rid of these three I think. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    AWWWW! That's too bad! I have one gander that is superb and it took him almost a year to be excepted. Fortunately he is the biggest of the bunch and
    was pretty much "un-pickable". I would separate them for sure, and maybe re-home. [​IMG]

3. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:The thing is I have already separated them from most of the flock, but I put them in with my color-integrated trio [​IMG] one embden gander, one embden goose, and one buff goose thinking those three are so busy doing their thing they'd leave them alone. That was working pretty well until last night and they got stressed with the weather.

Anyone in Colorado want an embden gander and two buff geese? (Actually those buff geese may be ganders, I'm really not sure) They do hang out together, so I started thinking they were females, but I've never seen the embden gander try and mate with them.

I dunno - Maybe I should put an add on Craig's list and sell them cheap to a good home? [​IMG]

4. My favorite hen is being picked on waay too much by one of my drakes and even somewhat by the other drake. She has feathers sticking out at odd angles. This has been going on since I brought her home last August, but it's worse now that spring has started. I had to take them out of the pen for a while yesterday because they chased her out of the duckhouse! (And ya, it was nasty yesterday!) There have been several days recently I have put the more aggressive drake in a separate pen. I would like to get rid of both my drakes to make room for some hens and or a drake I would like to breed with them. (Except that I am really attached to them even tho they are freeloading buggers.) .

5. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Wow,
    I wish I lived closer!!
    I have been waiting for a pair of buffs coming in April.
    I love those Geese, I would have taken them in a heartbeat!

6. Ha! You posted while I was writing mine. I would love to try geese but I just have a town sized backyard. Anybody interested in two fawn and white runner drakes. Not for dinner though, please!

7. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Isn't that always how it is? [​IMG]

I just want them to be happy... [​IMG]

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh man, I wish I could make a run up to your area! I'd pick up ducks, geese, and maybe try to find a free pony while I'm at it. [​IMG]

9. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:LOL...come on up! I don't have a pony, or any extra ducks right now, but I gots gooses! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by