Ever have something like this come up?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Apr 3, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

While hoeing out under the tree I’m going to build the coop next to, I found something out. I have a lot of crap!! We used the spot as a storage spot for campfire wood and other yard items for years. It was one of those 20 minute jobs that took six hours….[​IMG]

I guess some of the wood along with some pine needles had rotted down and started to become a dirt-like substance. After transporting 10 or so wheelbarrow loads of wood, tons of toys, and I can’t even tell you how many loads of “wood-dirt;” I was questioning if I wanted chickens or not!!!! [​IMG]

So I said to heck with it and went and had a beer. I want chickens again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Don't you hate it when you go outside to "quickly" clean something up and it ends up taking up almost all day?

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    hehe im doing that right now.cleaning out the old leanto carport thingy attached to the barn.hubby had dummped old carpet and junk in there and kids toys from way way back.Its like a walk down memory lane.Anyway today will be my 3rd day hauling that stuff out and finishing the pen.Wet carpet is very hard to move. [​IMG]
    Its no so bad cause now the space will be cleaned up and be put to better use.But all the ferrol cats will have to hide some place else in the barn.Like hubbys shop area he never uses...Does your back and hands hurt as much as mine?

4. OurLittleFarm

OurLittleFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    South Western PA
    I hate trying to clean anything up around here. I don't really save anything unless I know I will need it. Hubby on the other hand saves EVERYTHING because "we might need it someday". He is so bad that when we moved I threw out 340 plastic butter containers!!!!
    Like we would ever need that many. No matter how carefully I watch him he still manages to stockpile crap.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Are you crazy? [​IMG] That's great compost there. I suppose it's too late now but if you don't want it yourself, I would bet you anything you coulda found people willing to come and take it away for their own gardens for free, saving you the work.

Oops [​IMG]

If you have any left, you should think about it, though!

[​IMG]

Pat

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:You 'made' better compost than you can buy! Too bad you threw it out. You could do some good gardening with it.

7. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I saved it for sure. I just didn't expect it to be there. It's sitting on a tarp with another tarp over it waiting for my herb pots! [​IMG]

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Nice find, you made black gold without even realizing it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by