Ever hear of a Rhode Island Rock?

so what do I need to look for exactly - cause I swear all the chickens looked exactly a like there...

Umm, I would look for a farmer who actually knows what he is doing first of all. Maybe find one that is not scamming you as well?

The hackle feathers (on the neck) are long and pointed as are the saddle feathers (right in front of the tail). On a hen, these feather would be shorter and rounded on the ends. Sorry but you have 3 roos.

he isn't a "chicken farmer" to say - he just has them for his own food source... he is a good old country southern boy to say the least...

i'll try to look at the feathers... starting to wonder if I should just take them back and wait till spring and start over again with actual chicks?

Sounds like a cross between rhode island reds and plymouth rocks. Whether or not it is a sex-linked breeding depends on which parent was which. If daddy is a rhode island red, and mama a white or barred plymouth rock, you probably have sex-links.

If everything in his barn looks the same, they're probably all roosters. As stated, the long, pointy, draping feathers hanging down off the neck and back, just in front of the tail, are "sex feathers", one of the main ways to tell hens from roosters. Look at pictures of hens on here, the feathers in those areas are rounded and don't drape down like roosters do.

I personally would find another source to get them from, a person who knows what he has ( theres no such thing as Rhode Island Rocks) and knows more about how to sex them. All the ones you posted are obvious roosters but if you say they are all the same color and if there are any hens in there, then they may be Amber Links https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=358938&p=1 ( note the young red and white pullets in the first pics are regualar gold sexlinks, not Amber Links. That may be what they are but they should be obviously sexable at that age just by differences in comb and sex feathers, so he still may have all roosters. So like I said, I would just find another source.

well i caught all the roosters and just took them back to the guy i bought them from. He said "well good lord I think maybe all i got was roosters then... which he just wants the eggs too - so he said guess he better find some people that might want some free meat... I told him about the breed deal - he said he got these from a guy who he thought he knew what he was talking about. he said he talked to someone at a local hardware store who also said they raised Rhode Island Rock - so thats why he thought it was right.... weird.

anyhow I think I'll just buy some from a hatchery soon and start with chicks. Do most hatcheries make you buy a large amount? - we only want a few...

Back
Top Bottom