Ever heard of this?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
It puzzles me.. A guy told me he doesn't have birds come onto his patio because he puts rice out. And he says rice makes birds explode.
Huh??
Some weird hoax type story? What other kinda stories are like this? Oh hey there's a korean one, not having to do with birds though. Fans are deadly in Korea! Never leave one on while sleeping! You will die.. - I'm guessing it has to do with being cold.... Not sure, but my mom doesn't want me leaving the ceiling fan on at night
hu.gif

I have fed my chickens uncooked rice before, and did not see any pieces of chickens anywhere, so I sure that it is safe for them to eat.
big_smile.png

I wonder if they encourage brides to do it for the ease of clean-up. Birds will come and eat the seed, but I doubt that wild birds would come along and eat all that raw rice.

No, they don't explode. I've seen ducks gorge on uncooked rice and nothing ever happened to them. Plus, I think they can vomit if they overeat or get too much in their stomach just like people can.

Years ago I read that it was an 1950's April's fools day joke that got printed in a Dear Abbey or Ann Landers column. Took on a life of it's own.

Kinda like the BBC special about Italians growing pasta trees, complete with video of the Italians picking pasta. The BBC got thousands of requests asking where the British could buy the pasta trees.

Imp-They're not hard to grow, but getting them to fruit is hard.
roll.png

Birds do not actually explode when the eat uncooked rice. I think the concern is that the rice can expand and cause blockages inside of it if it has eaten a lot. I guess it could be in the realm of possibility that the stomach can rupture but not very likely. It is probably best to avoid it anyway.

My dad has always believed that fans can cause pneumonia.
roll.png
Soooo not true.

BTW birds can not vomit their stomach content.

Quote:

People can't vomit it out either. My wife is a nurse and they had a homeless man come into er who ate a bunch of uncooked rice. They almost lost him. Had him stopped up all the way thru!

Back
Top Bottom