Ever heard of thunder making an egg not hatch ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by runamuchchickenfarm, Nov 23, 2008.

1. runamuchchickenfarm

runamuchchickenfarm New Egg

Nov 14, 2008
    Ran across a man today that SWORE that if a chicken has a clutch of eggs and is sitting in the open that if Thunder and Lightning strike the eggs will not hatch.

2. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    well thunder cant strike the eggs lol but i would say true cause lightning would.... fry the eggs. pardon the pun lol

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its a myth.

[​IMG]

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    But a pretty cool one nonetheless. Ah, homo sapiens . . . so creative.

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    yep i've heard storming does it do to humidty and static in the air. my neighber swears to it also.

it is not possible except if the humidity in the air is to high outside it could drowned them in the egg while storming from the rain moisture but has nothing to do with thunder and lightning. i have better hatches in storms,lol.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

I couldnt see thunder doing anything to the eggs but lighting who knows, it does a lot of odd stuff !!

7. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

i live in arizona, we have thunderstorms for 2 months strait! july and august.
    everyone hatches out, no problem. infact it cools the air down so the hens sit tighter on the nests.
    unless this guy is using a metal nesting box and lightning hits directly, then your goose or chicken is cooked!
    i agree, myth.

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:florida would have no chicks either.. thunderstorms daily during that season..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by