Ever seen a chicken actually LAYING a egg?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Dec 5, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Now you can! Caught it on tape about 6 months ago.
    This was Hazel, a blind Buff Orpington. She passed away a few months ago.... miss her so much. She gave us many extra large eggs though.

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    nasty!!! LOL my girls will let me in there while they're laying lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:I know! Everyone I show it to goes "EW!!!! i'm never eating eggs again!"
    Next day, its scrambled eggs for breakfast. [​IMG]

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Interesting [​IMG]

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    one of my faverolles pullets-Bella-laid her first egg right in my hand! sort of neat but kind of wet! [​IMG] i had her sooo relaxed in my lap that when she stood up and started panting i almost thought she was in some sort of stress and then i realized she was trying to pass her first egg! [​IMG] i've witnessed it a few times from some of my other hens but Bella seems to pass her eggs when i walk into the coop. must be she is so relaxed with me near her. i can always tell when she is ready to lay because she starts making a low but sort of frantic squawking as she's looking for just the right place to leave it. which is never in the nesting box. [​IMG]

6. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Almost every day. [​IMG]

7. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Chickie'sMoma :

one of my faverolles pullets-Bella-laid her first egg right in my hand! sort of neat but kind of wet! [​IMG] i had her sooo relaxed in my lap that when she stood up and started panting i almost thought she was in some sort of stress and then i realized she was trying to pass her first egg! [​IMG] i've witnessed it a few times from some of my other hens but Bella seems to pass her eggs when i walk into the coop. must be she is so relaxed with me near her. i can always tell when she is ready to lay because she starts making a low but sort of frantic squawking as she's looking for just the right place to leave it. which is never in the nesting box. [​IMG]

Haha, my girls make that clucking sound too right before they lay it. Wow, she must really trust you if she lays it right in your hand!​

8. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Lucky you! [​IMG]

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    yep i have a video too, and when i turned the radio on jackson browne was playing and my ameracana popped up on the couch (her favorite spot on the porch) and layed her egg for the day just like every other day. it was saturday so i got it on tape i just dont know how to post it!

its perfect too because the song ends right when she lays it! to the words "and when the morning light comes streaming in, well get up and do it again" lol like the cycle of egg laying. really weird i didnt plan it at all hehe [​IMG]

10. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, pretty much every day. They're usually laying around the time I go in to clean the coop. If someone's on the nest when I go in I leave the light off so as to give them their peace and quiet. They don't seem to mind that I'm there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by