Ever seen a chicken yawn?

Such a sweet yawn photo! She looks very happy and sleepily satisfied!

I was so surprised when my darling hen ,Speckles, would make trilling noises (kind of like a cat purring) when she was cuddled up in my lap and enjoying neck scritches. This only happened after she had become a part time "lap chicken" and only when she seemed to ADORE having her neck scritched just so. The first time she did it I couldn't believe it. I didn't know a chicken was physically capable of making such a noise. She amazed me with all the different types of clucks, bwacks, etc. she used to communicate very clearly her opinions about things. The loud, protesting BWAAUCK, BWAAUCK, BWAAUCK as she realized she was being conveyed back to prison (her spacious run) was pitiful and made plain how totally unfair and undeserved she felt our cruel actions were.

I'm just a chicken nut anyway! Pretty much anything a chicken does it fascinating and I've been raising chickens for over 3 decades and they still flip my skirt:lau

Quote:
I've heard that purring trill. My girls used to make it when they were younger and I will take them from the brooder in the garage outside on warm days. They would make a beeline for the sandbox and make that sound. I so wanted to capture it on my phone but they would stop when I got too close thinking I was going to take them back to the garage.

Back
Top Bottom