Ever wonder if you feed your flock too much??

SummerChick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Somerset, Texas
Hi Everyone~

My hens eat like scavengers and act as if they are starving every time i come with treats, there is no way they could be starving....i keep laying crumbles in their feeders all the time and give a little scratch now and then plus oatmeal with yougurt and applesauce in the morning...bring them veggie and fruit treats in the early afternoon and again in the evening! They seem to think every time i go out to see them, im supposed to bring treats....its kinda cute but im starting to get a complex here....do they like me for my wonderful personality or just for the treats??...
idunno.gif
.........hehehe~!

lau.gif

Too many treats!!!!!

I don't give them treats daily for that very same reason. They won't eat the layer, they wait for the treats. Mix it up and dont have a treat routine.

my birds know they get treats sometime in the morning... and they get so excited when they see me coming. Then again 1 carrot peel and 1 cucumber peel between 3 birds isnt exactly overfeeding. And the birds are good, I always see them filling up on layer pellets before bed time :)

I don't offer free choice anymore and use portion control by monitoring how much feed is left after each feeding. I like my girls to forage for food first and eat grain feed second, as the foraged diet is, IME, more of a natural diet for their system.

If you are offering so many treats for the fun of watching the chickens come and eat, you can feed their basic diet as several portions throughout the day - they will still come bounding over for that. It doesn't need to be treats.

Back
Top Bottom