Everyone is pulling out eachothers feathers... WHY?

Thanks everyone, I will use moderation on the protein treats, I think they are getting bored, and that could be a cause. I don't want to give them too many treats cause they will eat less of their feed. I usually hang an apple from a string or a cob of corn, that keeps them busy for quite a while. When we go away I hang a head of cabbage, it takes a couple days for that to disappear. I'll try and get some pictures of my girls today so you can see the damage to their feathers.

That's funny.. (funny- odd, not amusing:)) it's my Barred Rock also who was picked on. Last year I got two each BR, RIR, and Golden Comets; I had two Buff Orpington and a couple Comets. The pullets started feather-eating, so I upped their protein, with not much result. We apparently had a fox 'baby boom' around here last year, neighbor and I lost a lot of birds. So I ended up with the two BO hens and one each BR, RIR, and Comet pullets. They stopped the feather eating but everyone still picked on the BR, to the point that one night I went to close their coop and found she had an open wound on her belly below the vent. Lots of Blue-Kote applied, and she was fine. I haven't seen anyone pick at her for ages, but as she hasn't molted, she looks awful! Her belly is bare and all her body feathers are broken- she looks like a worn-out feather duster.
I wondered if it might have to do with coloration... the other birds are all related shades: yellow, golden brown, red-brown, so she was the only different one. I hope she molts soon, and looks like a proper chicken again!
smile.png

That's funny.. (funny- odd, not amusing:)) it's my Barred Rock also who was picked on. Last year I got two each BR, RIR, and Golden Comets; I had two Buff Orpington and a couple Comets. The pullets started feather-eating, so I upped their protein, with not much result. We apparently had a fox 'baby boom' around here last year, neighbor and I lost a lot of birds. So I ended up with the two BO hens and one each BR, RIR, and Comet pullets. They stopped the feather eating but everyone still picked on the BR, to the point that one night I went to close their coop and found she had an open wound on her belly below the vent. Lots of Blue-Kote applied, and she was fine. I haven't seen anyone pick at her for ages, but as she hasn't molted, she looks awful! Her belly is bare and all her body feathers are broken- she looks like a worn-out feather duster.
I wondered if it might have to do with coloration... the other birds are all related shades: yellow, golden brown, red-brown, so she was the only different one. I hope she molts soon, and looks like a proper chicken again!
smile.png
Most likely they picked on the BR because the wound may have already been there (without your knowledge) or a pecking order issue. Glad she healed up. She'll refeather after molting.

Well there at it again, I don't think they ever stopped, just slowed down a little. They have the neck on my BR almost bare, everyone has scrapes, feathers missing, I think there lacking something other than Protein, I've been making a mash almost every day of their feed, scrambled egg, boss, oatmeal, meal worms, and table scraps...I was wondering, would adding some cooked hamburger help? Or isn't that a good idea?

Sometimes when a flock gets into the habit of picking it can be very, very hard, if not impossible to break them of it. With what you are feeding them I doubt they are missing anything in their diet at this point and too much protein can actually be a bad thing.

Put dabs of tub grease on the areas with no feathers chickens don't
like the smell of the grease so they stay away.

They were terrible today, my poor BR is taking most of the picking, she has a complete blue coat neck now, I think I'll rename her blue beard. I got a squirt bottle of water tonight and I nailed the ones that are doing the most picking, they didn't like it and stopped, but I can't stay out there 24/7...I think I'm gonna have to let them out of their coop, if the hawks get them, at least they will die happy. Would having a rooster have helped? Would he protect the ones being picked on? Thanks for all your help. I am so discouraged...
sad.png

I would pull out the ones who seem to be the instigators and see if the other's get along ok. May have to get rid of those who are starting the trouble. Sometimes one or two will be instigators but the rest join right in and if you pull out those trouble makers the others get along. Sometimes having a rooster helps, depends on the situation. My rooster does break up squabbles and sends the trouble makers on their way but my birds have a lot of space and lots of places to get away from each other so when there is a squabble it's minor to start with.

Last edited:
Well, it's been almost a year since my last post on this subject, the picking has never stopped, I do let them out to free range while I'm out there, they still pluck eachother, they all show signs of being plucked, and I see almost all of them doing some plucking, I'm ready to give up, I've used blue kote, pick no more lotion I got at TTC farm store, seems when one lays down to dust, they pick on that bird, they look terrible. I read to put Vicks on them, I guess that will be my next try, I have added a 22X10 corral for them to run in during the day, but the added space hasn't solved any of the picking. The blue cote only lasts a few days, they dust bathe and pick it asll off, their skin is beat red, I just feel so sorry for them. What does everyone think about the Vicks? I've heard pro's and cons.....

I've used Pick No More and it is as useless as chocolate pudding. You can try the Vick's, you have nothing to lose at this point. Then if they continue...cull them.

Back
Top Bottom