Everyone, post your best homemade chicken feed recipes!

Hello,
New to chickens. Does anyone just feed their chicks fodder and sprouts as a major part of the chickens diet. I would just like to know if it is possible and still a have healthy chickens.

Thanks
Mraya

you will need chicken feed as major source. the fodder I feed is great but it is very secondary. nonetheless, I save a great deal on my regular organic (fermented)feed, about 35% let's say by feeding fermented feed, fodder and fermenting alfalfa. That is a significant cost savings.
Thanks, I tried fermenting Crumbs I don't know what went wrong but it started to smell like alcohol. Fermenting alfalfa?? I will have to look that one up.

Mraya

I don't have a great answer to your question and I am curious too!

FWIW, my organic non-GMO, non corn non soy mix that I buy lists the first three ingredients:

org. kamut wheat, org barley, organic peas...

I also ferment this, I think it is amazing stuff and so does my small flock (and so do my dogs if they were allowed to eat the chicken food, which they would very much like to...)

Interested to know your recipe, though!

suggest you do not feed barley to your chickens. It contains a non-nutritional ingredient that gels up in their intestines, which keeps nutrients from being absorbed, effecting egg production.

I always feed a small % of barley and my chickens never stop laying. I have heard that max 20% of barley is ok. I put less.

This is what I came up with today, if anyone sees any problems with it or has suggestions pls let me know! :)
3 cups organic oat groats
3 cups organic black rice
2 cups organic whole rye
2 cups organic hard red wheat
2 cups BOSS
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup organic split peas
1 cup organic flax seed
1 cup organic chia seed
Now according to my calculations this is about 18.06% protein. I also ferment the mix which increases protein even further but, the chickens eat less. Also this eliminates the problem most ppl have with rice, because it will have already expanded before they gobble it up, as well as all the other grains & seed. I find this recipe to be very diverse & nutritious with the antioxidants and natural probiotics!

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and want to start a thread how do I do that? Thank you in advance..

I see that some recipes have crab, bone, and I’ve even seen meat meal added to them. Are these food grade? Everything that I find seems to be used as a fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom