Everyone Post Your Pigeon Pics!!!!!

I was thinking about getting pigeons for 4H and has some questions
1) do pigeons only breed in pairs ?
2) i heard pigeons breed year round do i have to separate male and female when i don't want them breeding?
3) i want to make their aviary how half has fence lifted off the ground and the other not so they can get to the ground is this okay?
4) im thinking about getting two or three pairs i like fantails and rollers is there any info i should know about these?
5) is there any good info for beginners
Cool, glad to see more people interested in PIGEONS!!!

Yes pigeons only breed in pairs
And yes pigeons breed year round. And I don't know about separating them. (I leave them together all the time.
And yes the aviary sounds great. But they need to fly quite abit.
Both breeds are easy to breed an raise.
You can google, youtube, what ever else you can think of. And you can find tons of info.

Good Luck!!!
And hopes this helps.

2) i heard pigeons breed year round do i have to separate male and female when i don't want them breeding?
3) i want to make their aviary how half has fence lifted off the ground and the other not so they can get to the ground is this okay?
4) im thinking about getting two or three pairs i like fantails and rollers is there any info i should know about these?
I agree with The Farm. I raise American and Mini Indian Fantails. If you want to keep them together and do not want the babies, Just pull the eggs. They lay every 18 days or so. I use wooden fake eggs and put them in as a replacement for the real ones.

There are Fantail clubs online and I am sure that there is the same for the Rollers. Good luck to you and have fun with them.

two of mine speed and trevor they both cant fly and live happily in their special home

Dove squabs getting bigger .does anyone know why one has brown feather coming when both parents are pure white?

new fantail doves

can i just tale their eggs like i do with chickens
and can they be raise healthy around chikcens like i know quail can like swell up and die if you raise around chickens is it the same with pigeons

Mine are raised around chickens. As a matter of fact one of my hens lead her chicks to the pigeon pen for leftovers. The fantails I have DO fly. They have no problem flying.

You can just take the eggs from the nest, however they will lay pretty quickly once they are gone.

Last edited:

Pigeons mate for life, so supposedly you can keep different breeds together but, from experience, I can tell you there is no guarantee as I had a pair of nuns and jacobins split and mate with one another. I had to sell the nuns to stop the interbreeding. Overall pigeons are easy keepers and I love their cooing, but hand raising abandoned babies is difficult though not impossible as I have one sitting on my shoulder as I type!:) As for the coop...pigeons love sun and water baths so keep that in mind when building. They also need protection so nest boxes and a covered area to escape sun and rain are also necessary. Some may disagree, but I'm not favor of the cage being on the ground unless you plan to put down wire or bury it at least two feet around the perimeter to keep out predators that might dig under. Also be sure to use very small strong wire, otherwise a hawk or coon will pull them through piece by piece, or you will awake to a "fat" snake in your aviary! As for breeding there is no need to separate.....if you don't want babies then simply remove the two eggs once laid.

Here are some new pics
Two days old

Now
Left to right hen cock. PS I saw back a few pages that I put the wrong pic of these two adults.

Here is my new hen.

Back
Top Bottom