Everyone Post Your Pigeon Pics!!!!!

This is not my baby, but they look almost exactly like this.

Hey Ducky could you post a picture of the parents (if you have one)? If the babies are more bald than the one in the picture that probably means they have the "brown" or "dilute" gene which both can look really cool.
big_smile.png
There might be some other genes that cause short down but those are the main two.

Hey Ducky could you post a picture of the parents (if you have one)?  If the babies are more bald than the one in the picture that probably means they have the "brown" or "dilute" gene which both can look really cool.:D There might be some other genes that cause short down but those are the main two.

I'll try... the dad had a brown neck and head and light brown body, and the mom had like a peach colored head and neck with a white body

Quick random post:
For those of you who are curious about pigeons hatching chickens, it works, and it is the sweetest thing in the world. I've done it once.
However, the chick that my pigeon hatched months ago is still constantly by the pigeon's side, and the pigeon has had two unsuccessful nests of pigeon eggs. I'm assuming the hatch failures are somehow connected to the fact that the pigeon is still "caring" for the chick.
Ok that's all. :)

Quick random post:
For those of you who are curious about pigeons hatching chickens, it works, and it is the sweetest thing in the world. I've done it once.
However, the chick that my pigeon hatched months ago is still constantly by the pigeon's side, and the pigeon has had two unsuccessful nests of pigeon eggs. I'm assuming the hatch failures are somehow connected to the fact that the pigeon is still "caring" for the chick.
Ok that's all.
smile.png

I had a broody hen hatch a some Muscovy duck eggs. Things were going smoothly until the ducklings went for a swim in the spring at the back of the property. Man what a panic attack momma hen had.

What is dilute exactly?

Dilute is a gene that just makes their normal color lighter, which can result in some pretty cool colors.
I'll try... the dad had a brown neck and head and light brown body, and the mom had like a peach colored head and neck with a white body

Sounds like maybe the dad is ash red or brown and the mom is ash red dilute! Sorry if this is all confusing LOL.

If the dad is ash red then both babies should look like him.

If the dad is brown then the babies will be sex-linked, the daughter will be brown like him and the son will be ash red.

The babies might be dilute if one of the dad's parents was, otherwise they will carry the dilute gene but not look "diluted". However their babies may be dilute

This male is ash red, if you're wondering what color I'm talking about.

I'm learning about genetic stuff so I get a little over-excited talking about it all
duc.gif

@Lozuufy wow you sure know a lot about the color genetics. :eek:
Maybe you can help me out.
I've got a white female with a few red/brown feathers around her neck and a few scattered across her body.
Her mate is white with lots of black feathers on him.
Most of their offspring have been black with a few white feathers or white with a few grey or brown feathers. Any way to sex link those? Occasionally they have a bluish grey one.

Back
Top Bottom