Everything dies!

I have not grown anything in my life until last spring!

I moved into my house dec 2015, I spent the spring/summer of 2016 just watching areas of the yard for sun/shade spots and kept track of seasonal weather. I did plant some flowers and a tree but that was it.

Last spring, 2017, I decided to start small with a few things that are easy to grow. I planted 2 tomato plants, some bush green beans and zucchini. I read up on these 3 veggies and they did really well!

Tomatoes don't like wet leaves, don't like burning hot sun and need to be staked. I bought a couple 1.99 plants from a local store and they went to town!
Bush beans I started by putting the seeds in damp paper towel for a few days until they sprouted then I planted them in some dirt. Grew like crazy.
Zuccini I also bought a few cheap starts from local store and they took off as well.

I gave them food once per month, watched for bugs, watered in the morning as most plants dont like to go to bed with wet leaves.

This year I'm doing the same but growing more so I can put up some of the beans and make tomato sauce. I also want to try strawberries, brussell sprouts and broccoli this year.

My advice is to start small.....
You are an inspiration to us all!

Definitely make sure you're choosing plants that are right for your area, and that you're planting them at the right time of the year. In many parts of the US right now growing zucchini or even radishes right now is just a pipe dream, just too cold at the moment! I agree with the comment that starting from started plants is far easier than seeds, they're more forgiving.

you could also try growing in pots. a lot of varieties of veggie do very well in pots and you can start growing in pots earlier in the year. I have potted veggies randomly in my yard and scattered between vegetable beds in areas that arent getting utilized

chicknanny13: I am feeling I may be in the same boat, but I really want to try! haha.
Bogtown chick: I live in Florida and it got really hot so the soil was getting really dry, so I was worried they did not have enough water.I will try the lime! I appreciate the advice!
Do Not add lime to your soil without first checking whether or not your soil needs it. If you have an alkaline soil to start, adding lime will make it worse.

Hi, I am also in Florida. The first thing I noticed in your original post was you are watering in the morning before the sun comes out. That is a very good thing to do. Soak your plants at the root system not just a sprinkle around on the foliage. The second water you said was watering after sundown, that is not a good thing. It will promote the growth of fungus which is probably what is killing your plants. I live in Tampa and I have a degree in horticulture but just started growing vegetables a couple of years ago. I have spent hundreds of dollars building raised beds and filling them with the best soils and mixtures and guess what, my garden sucks. That's why I started growing chickens.

Watering after dark might be causing plant mildew or mold problems. Many things could be going on. Is there anyone in your immediate neighboring area who gardens? They would probably be pleased to help a new gardener.

Back
Top Bottom