Everything perfect. Bad hatch. What happened?

I always have my Temp at 101.3-101.7 in a still air, and Humidity at 45-50% of the first 18 days, then around 65% the last 3, but it always jumps over 70% when thay are hatching. Are you candeling, are the eggs actually developing. Are the eggs shipped, Maybe it's fertility issues. Are you sterilizing the bator between hatches, it could be a problem with bacteria. There can be so many reasons. I know with my LG, the temp would spike in the afternoon when the sun hit the side of the house, and if I wasn't home at the time, I would have never known, because it would equalize again when the sun set.

Good luck, Maybe consider upgrading to a Hovabator Genisis 1588, My hatches have been much better since I upgraded, I still use the LG as a hatcher, that way I can staggar hatches.

Also if you are not washing your hands before touching the eggs, that can transmitt bacteria too, I have a bottle of hand sanitizer next to my bator, that way I always remember to use it before touching the eggs.

kelseygirl, I am doing the exact same thing as you it seems and for some reason my hatches are crummy.

(My name is Kelsee too.
tongue.png
)

It does get sterililzed, they are my own eggs not shipped.

I didn't candle this hatch. But all the others I candeled, and it seems all the chicks made it to day 18. Fertility is great.

I just don't understand. It doesn't seem like I am doing anything wrong, yet they all die in the last three days.

I also have an expensive science thermometer in there that has been calibrated, and I have checked it with two others.

I wash my hands EVERY time before I handle my eggs. Also I used the tilt method so I never touched them much anyway.

And no it's not the tilt's fault. They seem to die in the last few days.

My bator isn't an LG. It's a hova-bator. An older one though, but still pretty nice.

Last edited:
At 102 degrees is too high. I too always keep my temps at 99.5 to 100.5 F & I've got still air. That's what the instructions say to do. I keep the humidity in the high 40's to low 50's & then for hatching I increase to the 60's &/or 70% I try not to go too high with humidity because that pops up during hatchings...

haha nice to meet you too Kelsey.

Yeah so am I, I have absolutely no clue what the deal is. I think maybe I will try lowering my temp a little bit.

At least I got 7 chicks instead of 1. So next time I will shoot for 10 chicks. lol

All I can say is good luck and keep us posted.

I am starting a new hatch this week with some shipped Buff Orpington eggs. I am going to put some under a broody hen and the others in my hovabator.

When are you starting your next hatch? We can compare notes.

Back
Top Bottom