Evil Rooster

Hi

The girls will be fine with no roo. One of them will become queen so you don't need a king.

I would suggest you re-home him and if you still want a roo find a breed type that is not so aggressive. Cochin roos for example are nice (mostly).

Why would you re-home a person-aggressive rooster?
His behavior will be bad in his new home too.
He could make someone an honest meal. Sounds like it will be the best thing he has done.

The rooster is viewing the world through a roosters' eyes. Your viewing the world through a humans' eyes. Anytime that you catch or attempt to catch a hen in the roosters view, he thinks that you have nefarious designs on the ladies in your rooster's harem. Fighting back in the rooster's eyes only confirms this suspicion.

A nice stall away from the flock, about 2 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet with a swinging door, that you can confine him to and that you can catch him out of without any drama will work to quite or tame him. After you've worked with him or rubbed him a few minutes return him to either the flock or to his stall. However, when he is with his hens, only catch him off the roost and after dark. After you catch him from the stall, a half of an apple to offer him instead of your flesh is also a good idea. I have had low down roosters who would peck me and then twist a plug of meat out of my naked arm and swallow it. Even these birds are tamable. The only sure exception I have seen is a rooster from an inbred line who is just crazy. The crazy ones have a coronary when anything unusual happens and fly against the wire at the drop of a hat. These type of roosters can go off on you if your wearing a different color underwear.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Roos are a dime a dozen. I am sure you can find a local breeder with some excess roos that won't torture your hens and attack you. Mean roos go in the pot!

The rooster is viewing the world through a roosters' eyes. Your viewing the world through a humans' eyes. Anytime that you catch or attempt to catch a hen in the roosters view, he thinks that you have nefarious designs on the ladies in your rooster's harem. Fighting back in the rooster's eyes only confirms this suspicion.

A nice stall away from the flock, about 2 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet with a swinging door, that you can confine him to and that you can catch him out of without any drama will work to quite or tame him. After you've worked with him or rubbed him a few minutes return him to either the flock or to his stall. However, when he is with his hens, only catch him off the roost and after dark. After you catch him from the stall, a half of an apple to offer him instead of your flesh is also a good idea. I have had low down roosters who would peck me and then twist a plug of meat out of my naked arm and swallow it. Even these birds are tamable. The only sure exception I have seen is a rooster from an inbred line who is just crazy. The crazy ones have a coronary when anything unusual happens and fly against the wire at the drop of a hat. These type of roosters can go off on you if your wearing a different color underwear.
hide.gif

Your last sentence is sorta accurate. Since chickens can see other spectrums of color that we can, they react badly to some clothing colors. I have learned to wear neutral, earth tone colors around my birds. They may react especially to synthetic materials with non primary colors. They may see a calliope (sp?) of insane pigment where we see only orange. Just as chickens behave as insane, under fluorescent lighting because they see all the blinking that we do not.
smile.png

At the very least consider isolating him to a small pen by himself. See how your girls (and you) do without him in the mix. I suspect that you will find your stress level and that of your girls way down. That will also give you time to decide how you are going to handle the situation (rehome, into the crock pot, whatever) We have had some success with putting a slightly aggressive roo in a tractor with two hens. It means an extra pen to care for but if you are willing you might get to keep him but also be safe. (I have a Silver Grey Dorking in that boat right now). As I have children anything even remotely aggressive gets put in a tractor or into the freezer. Also this makes it easier for you to handle him each evening just as he goes to coop, pick him up, hold him and talk to him. Then put him back. I also give them a little food when I first put them down to distract them and focus their attention on food and not so much being the rooster. May be the wrong way to handle it but it works for me. Like others have said if you keep looking you will find a nice rooster who respects you and protects your girls. You don't have to settle for less for your girls. I personally want to go to my coop in whatever I am wearing, without worrying about what color my kids shoes are today. Just me (although I do have a rooster who just can't stand blue shoes) He is in a covered tractor with two ladies as that is his only vice and he is very tolerant of chicks so he and the silkie girls raise my chicks for me.

Last edited:
Fighting a rooster with your feet is the worst thing to do because it only eggs him on. On his level he sees it as a challenge he can win. When my young roosters get mean I take a fly swatter or riding crop in the pen with me and whop him across the face when he attacks until he gets tired of being whopped in the face and goes on about his business. 1 whopping is good for about 3 days and I have to do it every 3 days for about 3 weeks before he grows out of his cocky teenage attitude and settles down and becomes a useful member of my flock.
I have no problem applying the hatchet but sometimes I simply don't want to cull that particular rooster. Roosters are a dime a dozen but a good rooster is hard to find and I hate to waste a good rooster because he showed a lack of judgement when he was young & stupid.

that was how he started out with me... he would only charge me when I was walking away.. but I would hear him coming and he would stop in his tracks..:/ but now he seems to be getting more bold.. I am going to contact the person I bought him from... I really did not want a rooster at all.. but I bought 10 chicks from him and what we thought was a she turned into a he.. I think the guy will take him back.. he has a huge piece of land and all the chickens just run around.. I just hope my hens don't wander off on me that is my only worry.. :(

At the very least consider isolating him to a small pen by himself. See how your girls (and you) do without him in the mix. I suspect that you will find your stress level and that of your girls way down. That will also give you time to decide how you are going to handle the situation (rehome, into the crock pot, whatever) We have had some success with putting a slightly aggressive roo in a tractor with two hens. It means an extra pen to care for but if you are willing you might get to keep him but also be safe. (I have a Silver Grey Dorking in that boat right now). As I have children anything even remotely aggressive gets put in a tractor or into the freezer. Also this makes it easier for you to handle him each evening just as he goes to coop, pick him up, hold him and talk to him. Then put him back. I also give them a little food when I first put them down to distract them and focus their attention on food and not so much being the rooster. May be the wrong way to handle it but it works for me. Like others have said if you keep looking you will find a nice rooster who respects you and protects your girls. You don't have to settle for less for your girls. I personally want to go to my coop in whatever I am wearing, without worrying about what color my kids shoes are today. Just me (although I do have a rooster who just can't stand blue shoes) He is in a covered tractor with two ladies as that is his only vice and he is very tolerant of chicks so he and the silkie girls raise my chicks for me.

I am a little leery about picking him up normally like I do the hens.. I can just pick them up and they are small enough to just tuck under my arm or hold like a baby... but he is triple there size and very strong... I will try but I don't know how I am going to hold him... he is at least 3 ft high and looks like he weighs a lot.. I joke a lot that my youngest daughter could probably ride him like a horse.. :) I will give it a try... make sure I have 3 long sleeve shirts on when I do... :)

Back
Top Bottom