Evil roosters - sick of getting attacked - suggestions?

I'm not sure I can do chicken and dumplings; water pistol - the water hose more like it and it works for 1 day only. But it does get tiresome having to be "armed" at all times in my own backyard. So chicken and dumplings sounds more better if I had someone to do the dish.

Haze the rooster. Follow him at a speed walk pace for a period of time. Enough to freak him out and worry about you. Think what it would be like if a black SUV followed you everywhere while you tried to evade it.

If you want to keep the rooster, you must become Alpha and make him Beta. Have a look at my Handling Rooster Aggression page.

If you are breeding, then maybe this rooster has personality traits that you do not want to pass along. You could keep him isolated from hens. Or you could rehome him. Or you could cull him.

Roosters have to learn how to be roosters. If you let them learn that it is OK to attack humans, then you are in for a lot of headaches. My rooster learned to keep his cool. Maybe yours can too. Whether he does or not, you will know how to teach a rooster to be Beta. Any rooster that persists once you learn to be a rooster whisperer is probably incorrigible and tasty.

If you want to keep him I think carrying him around upside down as was suggested may help. Make him feel that YOU are the boss. Better for him than freezer camp.

This rooster has had a better life than any store bought chicken...or the piles of dead unwanted roos...eat him. If "we" ate more of our own chickens, we could put an end to the kind of meat factories we have around here.

Chicken.Lytle :

Any rooster that persists once you learn to be a rooster whisperer is probably incorrigible and tasty.

lau.gif

"Chicken.Lytle]Haze the rooster. Follow him at a speed walk pace for a period of time. Enough to freak him out and worry about you. Think what it would be like if a black SUV followed you everywhere while you tried to evade it."

I tried the speed walking thing last night. It seems like if I make eye contact right away and don't turn my back, I might be safe. It's when I'm acting normal, and not like I'm in the Vietnam war specking out the enemy that he goes for it. Movement spurred him on though. So following him makes him more ferocious. So back came the hose - the hose really is the best, but like I said, it's tiresome and the whole scene is quite violent. I don't want to upset the other animals while I'm fire hosing a roo. Maybe some ECT therapy.

Quote:
I completely agree. I don't think he's got more than a few ounces of meat on him though - it'd be more work than it's worth. That, and mmm, well, I'm a vegetarian - or ovo-lacto-vegetarian pescetarian. ( I don't eat mammals/poultry ) But I have nothing against others who do - granted I would prefer it organic or farm raised, but way too much (not affordable for all) to ask of society at this point. Sometimes, I think I should call a raptor sanctuary and see if they ever want live food for their birds (giant owls, meat-eating species).

Speed walk! Chase him for 10 minutes. You are bigger and if he does not get out of your way, then run him over.

If he does not get intimidated but this, you might try putting him in chicken jail for a few days and then starting over. I started with Shock and Awe then moved to daily intimidation. I currently spend about 30 seconds a day intimidating the rooster.

My attitude toward roosters is that I will accommodate their genes if it is reasonably convenient for me. If they insist of being a hazard, then they will not be allowed to live in my chicken coop.

Quote:
I completely agree. I don't think he's got more than a few ounces of meat on him though - it'd be more work than it's worth. That, and mmm, well, I'm a vegetarian - or ovo-lacto-vegetarian pescetarian. ( I don't eat mammals/poultry ) But I have nothing against others who do - granted I would prefer it organic or farm raised, but way too much (not affordable for all) to ask of society at this point. Sometimes, I think I should call a raptor sanctuary and see if they ever want live food for their birds (giant owls, meat-eating species).

Dead birds do make good fertilizer. I toyed with the idea when I had to get rid of 2 of my roos. They were huge, attacking me and terrorizing the hens. But then I always wanted to try and process a bird so it was either dispatch and use as fertilizer or try and eat. We went with the processing after reading much about it on the Meat section and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Their end was very quick and humane. I think that would be better than having them torn apart by somebody at a raptor place even if it is not worth processing for the meat
idunno.gif
Either way, good luck. Don't get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom