Ewe is passing an amniotic sac...

Bad news on my ewe. Even though she was comfortable last night I guess I should have pulled the lamb. This morning she was more like "in labor" so I washed her and me up, lubed up and went in. It took me about and hour of pulling and pushing and maneuvering to get the first ram lamb out. He was huge! Dead. There was another one and I thought that maybe she might be OK. Another hour or so-she was dead too. The the ewe started to bleed. I lost her pretty quick after that. I didnt think that I did anything in there that hurt her...but I dont know for sure. She was a pretty nice animal for a sheep...maybe they are a bit more fragile than goats? I had more trouble with delivering triplet goats than this...that mom lived to ten or twelve years old! I feel really bad about it; but like I said in my previous post--she was going to be a cull anyhow, but man those babies were adorable! At least I know that my ram still works.
Sorry I dont have a better outcome to report
sad.png
Terri O

Quote:
I'm sorry.. but just because an animals is a cull...does not mean they should not get vet care when they are suffering. And that sheep was suffering...
Sorry... you failed her by letting her be down in labor for 5 days... you know thats not normal. I hurt for that poor animal... dont you?
Very sorry..i know you'll be ticked at me for saying what others are too scared to say to you....but... its the truth. If you couldnt afford a vet..(which i understand!)... then you should have been responsible and shot her in the head or something to end it for her, instead of letting her linger on with no help.
I'm very sorry that you'll hate me now..
hide.gif

Last edited:
Why would she have to be a cull? Could have kept her as a pet or found her a pet home....any living animal is worth having seen by the vet does not matter if she is no good to you or not....I would not have just culled her because she was not a good baby maker. Maybe she was just having trouble with this one pregnancy? Was it her first? RIP to the ewe and babies.

sorry for your loss.

maybe you better use the same rule i do when it comes to kidding and foaling ( and now that i have talked to other sheep owners they follow the same rule of thumb) 20 minutes from the time the kid/lamb/foal is out from the time the water breaks (or u see a sac)

i know that with any of my animals if they are off for a few days i take em in. i definatly wouldnt wait over nite to pull a baby if the sac is visible!

hopefully lesson learned,

I am not going to rag you about the culling factor, sheep and goats are livestock to a lot of people and you don't keep around old unproductive animals, you can't. Sorry folks that is life on a farm.
But, when you could reach inside the uterous and feel live lambs, the cervix was fully open for you to get a hand in. She wasn't trying to push (probably to old and tired to contract or push anymore), but anyway if you can get your hand in pull the lambs (or kids) or if she is pushing, untangle them and let her try for a few minutes.
I am sorry for your loss.

Quote:
idunno.gif
agreed. Livestock arent pets to most people and a vet visit can be quite expensive. None of us were there to judge if she was suffering or not. A ewe that is eating or drinking is not likely suffering. She probably had nerve damage and that why she was down, and thats why she couldnt feel the lamb to push it out.
Pulling the lamb out may have saved the lamb or maybe not. I have had ewe go down from nerve damage of pregnancy. Took a long time for her to get up again but they can recover on their own given the chance. Dont think I would have shot her either if it seemed she had a chance.

If gonna be used for meat I can understand....or if too old of a ewe. Not just because they are no good to you anymore....I am softy I guess. I am not saying the op's choice is wrong. I am just saying it is not what I would of done.

Quote:
I'm sorry.. but just because an animals is a cull...does not mean they should not get vet care when they are suffering. And that sheep was suffering...
Sorry... you failed her by letting her be down in labor for 5 days... you know thats not normal. I hurt for that poor animal... dont you?
Very sorry..i know you'll be ticked at me for saying what others are too scared to say to you....but... its the truth. If you couldnt afford a vet..(which i understand!)... then you should have been responsible and shot her in the head or something to end it for her, instead of letting her linger on with no help.
I'm very sorry that you'll hate me now..
hide.gif

I agree...wether or not she was a cull or a pet thats besides the point. Being in labor for 5 days is a problem that should have been dealt with one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom