Ex barn chickens

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

They are ex barn hens. So they weren't in a cage but thousands in a barn. They are very sweet and used to humans I think. AND I got my first egg today!
1f603.png

I am aware of the pecking order. But in my case the hens are not confined at all and have all the space and food they want. I think they made me their willing servant. So far I haven't seen any aggressions. I hope it stays like that :)

Last edited:
I got my first egg today!
1f603.png

They are red shavers.
smile.png
Congratulations! It's always so exciting to get that first egg. Red Shaver is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can not only be sexed by color at hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads more eggs from those girls. :eek:)

Looking forward to that too. But so far I just enjoy how they rediscover being hens. Having dust baths, scratching for food, catching flys, sunbathing and getting a friendly scratch on their backs from me :)

Back
Top Bottom