Apr 17, 2021
Hi my chicken I super sick we got her in September and she is a rescue hen (used to live in a commercial barn) she is crouched down and spends all day sitting down, she is eating and drinking loads but the water kinda dribbles out of her mouth. She is gasping for air. Her comb is dry slightly flopped but still red. She is struggling to poo but she still is. There are photos attached. She has never laid eggs. Someone please help 😭

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
I'm sorry that your hen is unwell. If she's a former commercial layer, I'd try to rule out something related to her reproductive system, like egg yolk peritonitis. Production (hatchery) layers seem to be prone to developing this condition because they've been bred to lay large numbers of eggs.

You may find this thread helpful. Best wishes for your girl.

Hi my chicken I super sick we got her in September and she is a rescue hen (used to live in a commercial barn) she is crouched down and spends all day sitting down, she is eating and drinking loads but the water kinda dribbles out of her mouth. She is gasping for air. Her comb is dry slightly flopped but still red. She is struggling to poo but she still is. There are photos attached. She has never laid eggs. Someone please help 😭
She looks egg bound because she has a penguin-like stance. You can massage the area and try to push the egg, but be really careful not to break it. Is she the same? I hope she didn’t die! 😟 Can you give me an update?

I'm sorry that your hen is unwell. If she's a former commercial layer, I'd try to rule out something related to her reproductive system, like egg yolk peritonitis. Production (hatchery) layers seem to be prone to developing this condition because they've been bred to lay large numbers of eggs.

You may find this thread helpful. Best wishes for your girl.
I’m pretty sure she’s egg bound.
@MGG @Jesusfreak101 ,I’m just waiting for an update now.

Back
Top Bottom