Exactly how am I going to get my meat birds to the abbattoir????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by miss_thenorth, Jul 26, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have an SUV, and a utility trailer. I also have 24 8-10 lb birds.

What and how is the best way to transport them?

Signed,
    Clueless in Canada

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Is your trailer open? without a top? If so, I suggest using a few large dog crates in the trailer.

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    [​IMG]

I put mine in my truck.But if your trailer has sides just tarp it. Or if the trailer is big enough,barrow a cap from a friend and put it on your trailer. just some thoughts Will

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Here, some processors require that birds be in stackable cages or crates. We used a processor that didn't have any particular rules and we used all wire cages to transport them there, which we picked up later, along with the processed birds. I think it would be a lot easier to unload them, already caged.

For those that take them loose in your vehicles, do you transfer them to the processors own cages/coops when you get there? I suppose it all varies by geographic region and possibly the size of the processor. I'm just curious.

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    If they do it for a living,most processors have something for you to put them in already.Cages are nice if you have alot of them.
    Believe it or not,I bring a small roll of fence and about 4 or 5 t-posts and stake them in the ground and make a corral for them and put a waterer in the middle..
    My processor says In all his years thats a first for him.He remembers me each time by the fence more than by name.
    If you used a trailer you could probably leave them in it and would be easier for him to get at. Will

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I thought that you were going to take them to someplace like Disneyland for Chickens, but then I looked up your $50 word and learned that it means "slaughterhouse".

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Someone who uses the French word is after my own heart...
    [​IMG]

<-- B.A. in French, lived in France, loves France...

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Honestly?!? What kind of question is that. Put them in a cage, put the cage in the trailer, hook the trailer up to the SUV and drive to the market?

9. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I second the dog crate idea. One of life's basic lessons is: you can never have too many dog crates. [​IMG]

10. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    We borrowed some transport cages from the processors.

If you buy any cages yourself they can be pretty spendy.

Or leaving the trailer is a great idea. Or the fence with the waterer might work too.

Check with your processor-they'll have a suggestion for you.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by