Exactly how do you dust a chicken for lice?

you would hold the chicken upside down so the feathers spread outand so the dust gets to the skin.
smile.png
I hope this works out for you:/

new to chickens. do these lice get on people? id there an easy way to get them upside down. our hens are 13 weeks old and run the property but go to their coop in the evening to sleep. we can't get them to allow us to hold them, so holding upside down seems impossible.
smile.png
cool.png

Quote:
Very old thread but your questions aren't and I didn't want you to worry. Chicken lice do not bother humans. And maybe I'm overly cautious, but unless one knows how to properly handle an upside down chicken, they can die. Myself, I would do what needs to be done with them upright!
JJ

Old topic, but I just discovered lice eggs on one of my hens and found a how-to article that uses a method I haven't seen mentioned so far.

Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet

One treatment method for small flocks or individual birds is the use of a dusting bath with Sevin
00ae.png
. Place the bird into a garbage bag containing the medicated powder with the birds’ head out and rotate/shake the bag to completely cover the bird with powder.

This method sounds good to me because it keeps the Sevin (or other treatment powder) more contained and I think it would make it less likely to be inhaled, AND you won't have to turn the bird upside down to get the vent and under the wings.

So this is the method I'm going to try.​

Well, since then, I have stopped using sevin dust. I figured it is harmful for us to breathe in, so it must be bad for the chickens too. Now, I treat with ivermectin .08% Three drops to the back of the neck. so much easier, and IMO healthier too. And that way you can treat for all parasites.

The only issue with Ivermec is that is has not been tested on chickens. I have been totally on the fence with Ivermectin; on the one hand, it does kill (I believe) every parasite a chickan can get...however, the fact that it hasn't been tested on chickens makes me, personally, feel like it must be more harmful than Sevin or other poultry dust.
hu.gif

My avian vet recommends Ivermectin Eprinex twice yearly, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom