Examples of housing for more than 4 dozen chickens.

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Oh that sounds so wonderful. I never thought about heating the chicken coops with wood!

I have actually seen pix of someone heating with a potbelly stove. I have one in the family... Just have to talk mom out of it... Shes using it as a ""decoration"" lol.​

Using it as a "decoration"!!!?? Oh no, you have to get that from her so that you can use it. I think you should call her today about that and when you get it home, take a pic and post.
lau.gif

I keep a large flock of show quality breeders, I don't do the frilly cute thing on my coop but more for space and functionality. here are a few pic's of what I continue to add to as I have more needs.

AL

10364_img_0384.jpg

10364_img_0385.jpg

10364_img_0392.jpg

10364_img_0394.jpg

10364_img_1022.jpg

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your pictures.
smile.png
I think your setup looks very nice. I cannot wait to have an attached storage room. Right now i drag needed things up a small hill, to the coop, from the back room when i store them. That get very old, very fast.

It looks like pens are the way to go with larger flocks.

Quote:
I love it AL. Its a very efficent use of square footage. I like your feed/storage area Feed bins off the ground so you dont have to lean in to them to dig feed out. I am not the OP but I am curious and getting ideas. Rebuilding my own coop and this will be my first time keeping chickens separated by breed. My coop will be flat roofed as well. For now I am planning on enough structure to put a large tarp over the top I can do the tarp but mobility issues prevent me from doing a real roof. But I see you have a flat plywood roof. Do you have tarpaper over the top for rain?

Quote:
Love your setup. I think I saw this a while back but lost the thread, so I am glad that you re-posted. Great ideas. It's always good to see other's setup.

Quote:
LOL I have to find her a new place for her Chotchkeys.... And a Porthole insulator for the chimney the kind for tents.... Since my coop roof will be made of canvas.

I am going up to the house this weekend to prepare for the horse being moved back.... Long story very short but I am living in town with my 94 year old Grandmother. Mom is 77 and much more needy than grandma she lives down here too. The house is sixty miles away in the high desert. And I am finally going home, at least part time. I will be spending half the week up there for myself and half the week down here for family.

I have to take more pictures of the wood and space between the coop and the corral. What I want to do is use the horse corral for one wall of the coop Structurally the corral is solid, built with support posts in concrete for my 2000 lb Percheron mare. So anything I put up against the fence has to be ""sturdy"" incase Katee decides to move something... Katee is such a big curious goofball. Once I start demolition I will post my own thread.

It's was really kind of simple for me in the way that i knew I would allways be adding on and needed real usable space. To have an area that you can work in and on birds, move them around, tend to sick birds, house new brooder chicks and teen's, seperate breeding trio's & quad's, feed, medicate, store equipment. All this makes it easy for me and hence a better quality of life for my birds and my program. No ever having to hassle with the weather, heat or cold, rain or drought, water 10ft away, electric outlets everywhere, it all makes the whole process so much more enjoyable. My birds stay healthy, and happy and do their thing. No worries, I love it.

AL

A few more view's of different part's of the chicken Condo as I call it LOL, just to offer ya'll some more idea's.

AL

This doubles as a sick bay or a teen grow out pen, sometimes I house adult Quail & chukar in this hutch.
10364_img_0387.jpg

A outdoor brooder, so the 3-4 wk old's can get outside sooner.
10364_img_0408.jpg

Another larger breeder pen for some of my project birds or whatever is in the work's at the time.
10364_img_0391.jpg

Looking into the alley into other pen's, LOL door's everywhere, but room to move and work without bending over.
10364_img_0397.jpg

Lined up and happy knowing if they don't do their job there is someone waiting to take their spot.
10364_img_0395.jpg

Secondary breeder pen
10364_img_0398.jpg

Perhaps this can give Ya'll a few idea's, I made this all from scratch without any fancy drawings or plan's, and I can add on at any time in any way and it will still always be super functional. My sanctuary where I can relax a bit and really watch my birds the way I need to.

AL

Back
Top Bottom