Examples of housing for more than 4 dozen chickens.

mordarlar

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2010
We're just beginning work on our new larger coop. We currently have 5 adult birds and 9 chicks in the brooder. The first week of April we have an order coming in from Hodges farm with 25 chicks with 10+ more coming from another BYC member. We will also be assimilating 5 more adult birds around that time.

I am worried about going along with our own coop plan and later finding out that it is just not as functional as possible or spacious enough.

So, those of you with larger flocks, how do you manage their housing? I am also a picture nut so please...include them if your interested. Thank you!!!

big_smile.png

What do you consider a large flock? You may also check out the BYC Coop Section for ideas.

I have several open/air coops that my chickens roost in at night. A total of about 11 coops. I only have 100+ chickens and will be increasing my flock to another 100 this year (hatchin season
wee.gif
). I have a totally different set up than most. My chickens roost in one area, then in the morning when I open the coops, the hens go to their chicken house where the nesting boxes are and they lay eggs. Here are a few of my pics below? Please keep in mind that my chickens free range on an acre of fenced property every day, so they do not have a run.

Open/Air Raised Coop.
6612_hanging_basket_roost.jpg

6612_061.jpg

6612_062.jpg

6612_chicken_house_new_roosts.jpg

6612_feeding_area.jpg

This is what inside the stalls look like during the day when they are relaxing on the roosts.
6612_web_pics_022.jpg

6612_web_pics_021.jpg

This is where the go to roost after being let out of their chicken coops/stalls.
6612_nesting_boxes_with_chickens.jpg

Quote:
Kuntrygirl - I've read this before in some of your other posts and always wondered, how did you train them to go lay in their chicken house rather than just taking off to free range and finding a spot? I love the setup idea of two different housing types, seems like it would make it a lot easier to keep things clean!

I have pictures on my personal page and my barn/coop page, links are in my sig below. We have around 100 chickens during the winter and 300 to 400 during the spring, summer and early fall. I just checked the ledger and we have 101 on the farm right now but the incubator has around 40 eggs in it now and I'll be setting every Friday from now 'til fall.
big_smile.png

The new ones I'm building this summer are based on Kuntrygirl's stall type coop in picture 5 above. I'll have runs built off the front as they will be used for breeder pens though.

Quote:
Kuntrygirl: I really like your setup with the egg laying in one spot... though I want to do some breed pens I am going to reconsider my own plans. I have a layout done right now for Dog Kennel panels while I only want sixty chickens total I could see going to your arrangement eventually. I have Eighteen acres but no parimeter fencing so I am very hesitant about free ranging simply because I lost my last flock to preditors. (years ago... but still) My Open air coop will accomodate at least a hundred chikens and about thirty Guineas at full capacity.

Wow kuntrygirl, that is really impressive!!! Everything looks so clean.
ep.gif

I love the stall coops. What a great idea! So you house them open air in the winter as well?

Our plan was to have a combined goat/chicken barn in the center of three or four garden paddocks. We planned to let the chickens out into the garden area in the morning and afternoon before letting them out to free range the rest of the afternoon and early evening. We have 50 acres but it has nothing on it at this point but a travel trailer and a started garden area. We are probably building our "barn" with straw bales but i really like your idea for separate daytime pens. It seems as if it would be a lot more functional than having the chickens return to the "barn" all day.

Thank you very much for your input.
big_smile.png

mississippifarmboy, you have a beautiful life in pictures! What a lovely family.
big_smile.png
Your coop is a big hit with my husband. He loves all the signs and antiques.

I think we may also implement some sort of daytime nest areas. I really liked that idea. I really like the idea of placing a few of these types of arks around for the ranging birds to lay or rest. http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/poultry-housing/half-orchard-chicken-house.htm

Quote:
Mine will be three sided like this I cant speak for Kuntrygirl but I am in the desert and yes it gets very cold in the desert. My coop will be primarily windbreak with a canvas roof. (cant afford a real roof right now) Though this is a setup that has worked for me in the past, in a smaller scale. When it gets cold I do tarps over the remainer of the open areas. We get snow but nothing to speak of. About 72 hours worth at a time. But that wind will suck the heat out of any insulation unless you get a good wind proof cover.

If I ever won the lottery I would be building a real barn one to house my horse and goats and chickens under one roof. But till then everyone has three sided shelters... Um three walls and a roof. Though I have a 40 foot Shipping container which would make an OUTSTANING chicken house.... LOL. Too bad its got my furniture in it.

Back
Top Bottom