Exasperated

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I've posted about this problem before but it's still with me. I have a BO with a case of runny butt she's had for 3 months now. I wormed her, cut the feathers around her vent, cleaned her all up and still same thing. Something is wrong inside of her and I don't know what it is. Trimming around the vent only temporarily mask the problem. She still squirts a brown puddin like stuff. Once I thought she was getting over it, but it didn't last. Does anyone have a clue what to do short of culling her?

I don't know a lot about chickens but give yogurt and acv a try. I give my dogs yogurt for their digestive system and it works like a charm! The acv has been working wonders for my chickens too.

I have a couple of ladies who also have dirty booties. Mine are extra fluffy girls (cochins) just like your orp. I did all that stuff too, only to have it keep coming back. Ive been trimmimg their vent feathers and putting some olive oil where the poo trail usually happens. The oil keeps the poop from sticking to the feathers and its much easier to clean off when I do wash them up. Some of my girls dont seem to do the little doo doo squat, and I think thats why they get dirty bottoms. Maybe thats whats going on with your girl. Sorry, Im not much help. Good luck!

Maybe dawg53 will chime in with his opinion on whether or not to go ahead but wazine doesn't kill them all. It just kind of lightens the load so when you follow with the valbazen you don't risk overload from the worms dying. You may want to read some of the posts of dawg53's to see what you think.
sharon
ETA: I guess a stool sample tested by a vet would tell you for sure.
ETA: second time...here is from one of dawg53's posts... I got some of it right...
You would be better off using valbazen. It slowly kills worms over several days time. Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms like you observed. Wazine flushes them all out at once carrying a greater risk of toxic worm overload. Chickens can carry many different types of worms, valbazen gets them all. Valbazen is dosed orally, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose again in 10 days. Use a syringe without a needle to administer. Pull the wattles down and their mouth will open. Squirt the wormer in her mouth and quickly release the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid on her own avoiding aspiration.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom