Exceptionally stinky poop from new chicken

CoopyDoo

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2019
Illinois
Hi all,

I brought a new pullet home yesterday. She's in quarantine for now in a small coop in my garage. This morning when I went in there to check on her I was hit with the stench. It smells like the zoo on a hot day. (I'm in a cold climate) All of her poop looks perfectly normal. She looks to be in good health and is eating and drinking fine. I don't see any cause for alarm except the stench. I have a flock of 7 and they don't smell nearly as bad even when I don't clean the coop as often as I should. This definitely isn't typical chicken poop smell. Should I be concerned? Can really foul smelling yet normal looking poop mean something? Honestly you'd think an elephant has been pooping in my garage. You don't even have to be anywhere near the coop to smell it. This doesn't seem normal to me. Any thoughts? I've been blessed with healthy chickens and I've never had to deal with any kind of illness so this is new to me. Thanks!

I'd agree it's what the previous owners were feeding it. Give it your food for 3 days and if it persists after that then ther might be a problem but it probably just ate some processed meat or egg.

You could try to get a local vet to check some fresh droppings for coccidiosis and worms. I would add some probiotics to your hens’ diet for now. Probios powder or other probiotics are available in feed stores and pharmacies. Plain yogurt has some. Hopefully, the odor improves.

I agree with the probiotic suggestion. Without a balanced gut biome of beneficial bacteria and yeasts, bad bacteria can take over.
I always suggest and use Gro2Max powder formulated specifically for chickens. There are other products like avian benebac powder available from vets and perhaps pet stores but the Gro2Max more closely matches what is in a healthy chickens' gut.

Last edited:
Most vets and Amazon sell Fortiflora by Purina which is a concentrated form of probiotics for dogs and cats. It comes in packets to give daily or biweekly. Most probiotics contain either enterococcus or lactobaccilus. Probios Powder is sold in feed stores and can be used in most animals and chickens. Plain Greek Yogurt has always worked for my chickens. The probiotic products contain a lot of vitamins or extras which add to the cost.

Back
Top Bottom