Excessive Crowing

DobieClose

Songster
Jun 26, 2021
West Mansfield, OH
My 17 week old cockeral crows at least 10 times a day. He starts in the coop so early that it's still pitch black. He crows again when the sun comes up. He crows again within a couple of hours. He's crowing right now!
This goes on every couple or so of hours. All Day. Several crows each time.
Is this normal?

100% normal.

Some crow more than others.

If they can hear other males crowing they'll crow more to answer back.
There are no other roosters to be heard, but he seems to crow in the coop about an hour before sunrise, sunrise when they leave the coop, before a storm and 4 or 5 unexplainable times during the day. Then he crows an hour or 2 before sunset that starts their last hour long perimeter journey for the day. Then they stop at our lawn chair evening meeting with us for some treats for maybe an hour. If we stay out, they'll stay out later. Then, he crows again for bedtime and they slowly wander into the coop and get comfy on the roosts.

I'm going to jinx myself by sharing this. I just found out a few weeks ago my 20-week-old Ameracauna is a cockerel. I never heard him because his crow was soft. He does it in and under the coop which also muffles the noise. He only does it in the morning. The rest of the day he does the "chicken song" to warn the others. My neighbor has the loudest rooster. I do love him, so I'm okay with him. We are not supposed to have roosters, but no one has said anything about the neighbor's rooster. I'm going to wait it out.

10 times a day is pretty mild.
We've had a lot of different roosters over the years, you're at about the minimal level there.
Two things we find a little annoying - Standing near the porch crowing non-stop because he thinks it's time for the girls evening scratch, and having Crow-offs with the distant farmers multiple roosters. The farmers roosters crow a lot around 3am which made me think they might be dealing with more predators?

We're in a rare period of no crowing, as our current boys are still young... but we're going to keep multiple roosters for breeding projects and I'm sure interested in any advice you get about keeping things down.

There are no other roosters to be heard, but he seems to crow in the coop about an hour before sunrise, sunrise when they leave the coop, before a storm and 4 or 5 unexplainable times during the day. Then he crows an hour or 2 before sunset that starts their last hour long perimeter journey for the day. Then they stop at our lawn chair evening meeting with us for some treats for maybe an hour. If we stay out, they'll stay out later. Then, he crows again for bedtime and they slowly wander into the coop and get comfy on the roosts.

Perfectly normal.

Back
Top Bottom