Excessive crowing

ChickenMamaC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 6, 2018
Rose Valley, WA
I have a young roo (about 5-6 months, uncertain as he was rescued from a public trail) who crows easily 100 times every morning. This is my first time with a rooster, but I read they crow on average 10-20 times a day. He also crows off and on during the day and again quite a bit in the evening.

He has five hens, a very spacious run, a large and clean coop, and constant access to feed and fresh water (except in the coop).
The automatic door opens at 5:15 AM but he doesn't come out for probably an hour afterward, but crows from 4:30 on.

Is this because he is young? It's driving me bananas. I believe he is a cuckoo marans.

Attachments

• IMG_5980.jpeg
    IMG_5980.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 200
Some people have had success keeping them in a darkened area so they don't wake up as early. I am not sure how you would still give them the ventilation they need, but maybe someone else can figure that out.

He may change, but a lot of folks on here say that they usually don't. That may be why he was abandoned in the first place, sadly. You could potentially find a new home where they wouldn't care, like if it was a big farm and they were already hearing that anyway.

Don't let him ruin the whole chicken experience. Roosters often do so for people. Some birds (female or male, but mostly male) just do not work out in a particular flock or a particular set up. Cockerels and roosters are where the romance of keeping chickens meets reality as AArt says.

Let him go, and enjoy your flock.

Mrs K

Don't let him ruin the whole chicken experience. Roosters often do so for people. Some birds (female or male, but mostly male) just do not work out in a particular flock or a particular set up. Cockerels and roosters are where the romance of keeping chickens meets reality as AArt says.

Let him go, and enjoy your flock.

Mrs K
I was hit with the harsh reality just recently.

Had a bantam roo who would crow up to 100 times a day. Gave him a year but he only got worse. On top of that, he was pulling out all of my hens neck feathers and constantly attacking my wife and I. Gave him lots of chances but when he attacked me while I was treating one of my hens with sour crop, that was the last straw. RIP Jake.

I will say that as hard as it was, the whole experience of having chickens is so much calmer without the high pitched crows and constant worry of getting flogged when doing coop chores. He caused quite a bit of stress. Wish it would of been different but I don't regret culling him in the grand scheme of things.

I was hit with the harsh reality just recently.

Had a bantam roo who would crow up to 100 times a day. Gave him a year but he only got worse. On top of that, he was pulling out all of my hens neck feathers and constantly attacking my wife and I. Gave him lots of chances but when he attacked me while I was treating one of my hens with sour crop, that was the last straw. RIP Jake.

I will say that as hard as it was, the whole experience of having chickens is so much calmer without the high pitched crows and constant worry of getting flogged when doing coop chores. He caused quite a bit of stress. Wish it would of been different but I don't regret culling him in the grand scheme of things.
I always say that an aggressive rooster can't be leading a happy life anyway, sadly.

There are also too many good ones out there that don't have homes. It is very sad for the bad ones, but everyone deserves a good one, and the good ones deserve someone.

Well, you can't really do anything if you don't like crowing. Find him a home where he and his crowing will be appreciated. There are many tips that you can find on how to not have him crow in the morning, but if you don't like crowing period then there's not much that can be done

Back
Top Bottom