excessive flies

bellspop

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
as a newbie to chickens, i,m alarmed at the tremendous swarms of flies in the chicken yard
20'x36' Some suggestions please

I would recommend Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry rather than DE. It will absorb more moisture and odor and isn't at all dangerous if inhaled. I use some DE in the coop (only a T or two) and in their dust bath...just for pest control. I put down about half a cup full (coop is only 4' x 5') in the coop and even when it's quite poopy in there, it still has no noticeable odor. We don't get flies in the coop, but plenty in the run. I've heard folks use the fly paper...the cones, not the paper rolls kind.

I would recommend Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry rather than DE. It will absorb more moisture and odor and isn't at all dangerous if inhaled. I use some DE in the coop (only a T or two) and in their dust bath...just for pest control. I put down about half a cup full (coop is only 4' x 5') in the coop and even when it's quite poopy in there, it still has no noticeable odor. We don't get flies in the coop, but plenty in the run. I've heard folks use the fly paper...the cones, not the paper rolls kind.
Very true indeed. The flypaper (rolls) work just as well according to several articles...but in regard to the Sweet PDZ I fully agree. Flies congregate where they detect sufficient nutrients for their larvae. Get rid of the scent that draws the flies and you'll get rid of the flies (in essence). Chicken poo has nutrients and the flies can detect that by scent via antennae from a long way away. Sweet PDZ is made to absorb and conceal the stink and moisture....so yes, definitely; good post. (but I still highly recommend the DE to control some of the bugs and flies you already have)
thumbsup.gif

[Edit] Speaking of which....I ordered both Sweet PDZ and DE two weeks ago and they're still not here!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Guess we're lucky...we can got our DE and Sweet PDZ at the same local feed store we get our feed from...both very reasonably priced. I always put a bit of DE in the coop when we clean it out, along with more Sweet PDZ...we had mites when we first brought the girls home and the DE got rid of them pretty quickly. Now we just keep a little in the coop and a little in the dust bath for ongoing control and prevention. The flypaper rolls do work well...the issue with having them outside is, I think, more one of wind...the cones would be apt to move less in a breeze. We had to put rolls in the house this year for the first time since I was a teenager! I don't know if it was just a "good year" for them, or the fact that we go in and out the back more, or the chickens, but we had, and still have, tons of the nasty things in here!

What sort of natural predators do you use, FP? We get ladybugs about every other year to keep our fruit trees and roses safe, but I didn't realize you could get something that would eat the dang flies!

Home Depot sells these fly bags that have a powder inside and you just add water. They smell really bad but they are GREAT at catching flies. I also use DE but it wasn't enough durring the hot summer. Those baggies made a huge difference for me.

Back
Top Bottom