Exchequer Leghorns

Are all exchequer leghorns bantams?

No, they exist in both large fowl & bantam form. They are, in fact, admitted to the ABA Standard but not the APA Standard. The process for admitting new breeds/varieties is outlined in the APA Standard-beginning on page 5 in the 2010 edition.

Anyone have any more photos of these beautiful birds? I just love Exchequers! I have 10 in my garage right now that are just 4 weeks old. Is there a official exchequer leghorn thread??

We got some of these last year, several shipments of eggs. Had a lot of trouble getting them started. Currently have three hens and a rooster we will be hatching from this spring. We noticed a lot of the people that were breeding these when we got them .... shortly thereafter were not breeding them any longer. We also have one young rooster and hen. Our first rooster to mature was a terror and he runs the yard where he has marans roosters to keep him in line. Don't know what the quality of our birds is but we like them. We will be growing a small flock to see how they fare.

We got some of these last year, several shipments of eggs. Had a lot of trouble getting them started. Currently have three hens and a rooster we will be hatching from this spring. We noticed a lot of the people that were breeding these when we got them .... shortly thereafter were not breeding them any longer. We also have one young rooster and hen. Our first rooster to mature was a terror and he runs the yard where he has marans roosters to keep him in line. Don't know what the quality of our birds is but we like them. We will be growing a small flock to see how they fare.
Post Pictures!!! Please!
I'll try and get and post some of mine too.
What kind of trouble? I've noticed my exchequers are much weaker then my wyandottes. The wyandottes are WAY more hardy.

Post Pictures!!! Please!
I'll try and get and post some of mine too.
What kind of trouble? I've noticed my exchequers are much weaker then my wyandottes. The wyandottes are WAY more hardy.
The trouble I reffered to is that we had a lot of mortality. They seemed to be more difficult to get going than other breeds. I'll get pictures when I can but it might not be for a few weeks.

Duramaxgirl .... here are some pics of the few we have.
The first is our backup rooster, her runs the yard where the yard Marans roosters can keep him in line. Otherwise this fellow is very agressive with the girls.

The next pic is the rooster we will start with. Don't think he looks as nice but he is easier on the hens. Since we only have three hens we don't want that agressive rooster killing hens before we have enough in the flock.

Oh thanks for posting your exchequers! Mine are coming along and are about 12 weeks old now. They so far have terrible leg color though... And my one and only rooster died! So now I'm looking for hatching eggs for exchequers to get another rooster!

Duramaxgirl .... here are some pics of the few we have.
The first is our backup rooster, her runs the yard where the yard Marans roosters can keep him in line. Otherwise this fellow is very agressive with the girls.

The next pic is the rooster we will start with. Don't think he looks as nice but he is easier on the hens. Since we only have three hens we don't want that agressive rooster killing hens before we have enough in the flock.

I have had Exchequers for about 10 years and I too have had a hard time keeping Exchequer chicks alive to adulthood. I lose them at all ages and usually in groups. I'll have 25 assorted chicks in the brooder with 8 Exchequer chicks, all are fine in the am, and when I come back a few hours later 4 or 5 or 6 Exc chicks are dead and everyone else is fine. I have even tried raising them alone or in the bantam brooder, same depressing results.

A year or so ago I found a vintage article written in England regarding the low viability/vitality of Exchequers due to the small gene pool from which they originated. It said to use White Leghorn hens with an Exchequer roo then only keep any colored pullets to add back to the flock. When I lost my White Leghorn roo I decided to try it. I added 3 old White Leghorn hens to my 6 Exchequers (2 roos 3 hens). . This first gen cross was white (almost silver) with a few black speckles and all with speckles were pullets. They are also very healthy and active and thrive to adulthood.

This year I am down to only a pair of pure Exchequers, 1 white hen, and 2 of the 1st gen cross hens, but I am getting Paint Leghorns in the 2nd generation. They are really cool looking white birds with a few random Black feathers (similar to a Paint Silkie). They too are healthy, active and thriving. ( I sell them as cross-color Leghorns not as a "new" variety ;-) but they are breeding true.)

I can't post photos without it locking up so here are links to a few of the 2nd gen chicks.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e126/VRohwer/Chickens/2wksoldWHxEx_Leghorn_zps3db09525.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e126/VRohwer/Chickens/4wkExcxWhLeghorn2_zps315f0faf.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e126/VRohwer/Chickens/4wkExcxWhLeghorn_zpsecf29c34.jpg

The black "space" on the one's wing is a black flight feather, it just doesn't show up against the black background..

Now I need to find a new Exchequer Roo to put with this years pullets and see what I get next year!

Val

Back
Top Bottom