1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Exchequer Leghorns?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cherndon712, Sep 13, 2013.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I am looking for information about exchequer leghorns and possibly hatching eggs. What are their temperments like? I had white leghorns that didn't get along with anything, so wondering if they're ornery too? Are they fairly cold hardy, or do they stop laying in winter? Does anyone here raise/breed them?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I've had a couple from Sand Hill and I think Meyer, still have two from Sand Hill. I found them pretty much like commercial white leghorns, a little more skittish with people, but a little less dominant with other birds, a little bigger. They are good layers, not as good as the commercial whites, but close. I live in Ohio, so we have winter but not like you do in WY, they didn't seem to really mind the cold we have, the 1 & 2 year olds laid thought the winter, but I do put the layers under lights in the winter to 14-16 hours. There was a thread or two on them over in Breeds, Genetics, and Showing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by