excited about my new chicks

Younger

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Hi All

I get my first ever chicks and ducklings on Tuesday and I am very excited. I am in southern Ontario and unfortunately we are not having a very good spring. I was planning on setting up my chicks/ducklings in the garage with heat lamps but we received snow last night and have a feeling it will be too cold even with the lights on. The laundry room it is, lol.

I have a question that I seem to be confused on; I have starter food for chicks (medicated0 and starter food for ducks, they will be housed separately but I was wondering if I still need grit when the are young or only when they start laying?

I'm sure this has been answered before however I am new to this and don't want to mess up, I supersaturated with chicken knowledge.

Thank you
Jane

They will need grit when you feed them anything other than their normal food, for example when you feed them treats like mealworms.

You can sprinkle it over their food, like salt, or offer it in a separate dish. If you can't find chick size grit and you want to give them treats you can use clean coarse sand instead. It works just as well for the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom